PDA

View Full Version : Salt?

JAG_msc
03/02/2003, 10:15 AM
would like to know what is in the salt that adds trace elements to the tank if you know for a fact. thanks

rshimek
03/02/2003, 12:27 PM
Hi,

Either it is additives or impurities, more likely the latter. Aquarium salt is quite cheaply manufactred (pennies per pound). The various constiuents all have poisonous heavy metal present in small trace amounts. It is possible to buy high purity constituents, but that makes the raw materials cost more, and it generally is not done.

JAG_msc
03/02/2003, 04:50 PM
do you know what elements is used up by corals, fish and inverts that need to be replinished. and what is the best way to do so.

just getting your opinion not that i dont know.

rshimek
03/02/2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by JAG_msc

Hi,

do you know what elements is used up by corals, fish and inverts that need to be replinished. and what is the best way to do so.

Calcium, via kalkwasser.

Not only does nothing else need to be replenished, one needs to actively remove them

See my articles in the February, March, April, August, and December 2002 issues of [rk].

JAG_msc
03/02/2003, 07:20 PM
i checked out a few of your articles, it would take me all week to read all that data you have on that subject.

but from what i gather water changes are nessesary because of the build up of metal concetration, but it would take a couple of years to get to a high level that would be toxic right?

what is your opinion on doing a WC every 6 months about 50% or so, would that be sufficient for reducing the levels.

rshimek
03/02/2003, 07:26 PM

Hi,

i checked out a few of your articles, it would take me all week to read all that data you have on that subject.

If you read it, you won't have to ask the questions on it.

but it would take a couple of years to get to a high level that would be toxic right?

Absolutely not. Several salt mixes contain toxic amounts when they are mixed. See my article in this month's [rk], due out in 3 days.

what is your opinion on doing a WC every 6 months about 50% or so, would that be sufficient for reducing the levels.

Read the articles. The salts have such high levels of the metals that water changes after a period of exports will raise the concentrations.

JAG_msc
03/02/2003, 07:31 PM
well kinda did not want to read my butt off to get a few simple answers but now i understand how you answer questions.

thanks for all your help

rshimek
03/02/2003, 07:36 PM

Hi,

well kinda did not want to read my butt off to get a few simple answers...

Well, neither the questions nor the answers are simple. That's why I wrote the articles.