PDA

View Full Version : Worm or what?

Johan Thelander
03/02/2003, 06:55 AM
Found this animal swimming around this morning, it was moving quite fast. My guess is that it is some sort of worm. What do you think? Is it possible to determine what it is exactly?

The text in the picture means (approximately 20 millimeters).

Best regards
Johan

rshimek
03/02/2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Johan Thelander

Hi,

[welcome]

Found this animal swimming around this morning, it was moving quite fast. My guess is that it is some sort of worm. What do you think?

It is the epitoke (swimming reproductive form) of, probably, a syllid polychaete. Search this forum using as the search term, "epitoke" and you will find several threads and pictures of different swarmers.

Is it possible to determine what it is exactly?

Yes, but it will take microscopic examination of the chaetae (bristles) as well as detailed examination of the head. Otherwise, from the image, about the best you can get is what I told you above.

The text in the picture means (approximately 20 millimeters).

No kidding...

Johan Thelander
03/02/2003, 05:20 PM
Thank you for your fast reply!

By the way, when are you "anglosaxans" gonna convert to the metric system? :)

Best regards,
Johan Thelander

rshimek
03/02/2003, 07:22 PM

Hi,

Don't hold your breath waiting for it. Besides, what's the problem, it is easy enough to work in both systems, and as either system is totally arbitrary, it makes no difference whatsoever which is used.

gramma royale
03/03/2003, 03:16 PM
Thank you for your fast reply!

Best regards,
Johan Thelander

Hey, some of us Americans aren't Anglo Saxons. :D Just remember that America's a melting pot.