PDA

View Full Version : Deterring anemones from wandering??

desdemona2
03/02/2003, 02:48 AM
Hi,

I wrote earlier about thinking that I will do an anemone/ clown thing for my next setup. I have some marine experience, and am researching the thing. One of the big problems I have read about is that the anemones wander. Are there ways to deter this? (BTW, this will be a BTA).

I have heard of the following things--no guarantees on anything:

1. If it is "happy" has enough light and food it will mostly stay put.
2. A clown will tend to keep it in from wandering.
3. If you have more than one it will tend to stay put (only heard this once).
4. You can surround it with rock and so on, it might discourage it from wandering.

And then I have heard, there is not much you can do. Keep the powerheads covered, overflows things like that.

Any thoughts on this.

--des

Dlckwood
03/02/2003, 05:45 AM
Well you are right, there is nothing you can do to prevent an anemone from wandering. I have had many BTA's and in my experiance if there is enough light and a fair amount of current they will stay put. The thing about having a clown hosting it is that if it is small the clown will beat it to its death. That is why it does not move. Good luck with your tank.
DAL:p

corbyjames
03/02/2003, 01:22 PM
I've had some luck stranding my sebae (disk is about 9") on a rock in the middle of a sand area. It feels around trying to move and doesn't hit anything but sand and has stayed put for 3 months. This is good because the last time it went a wandering, it took me an hour to get it out of the inlet grid.