PDA

View Full Version : Green Carpet Anemones

Anth
03/01/2003, 06:44 PM
Can anybody set me straight on what is the correct conditions for a Green Carpet Anemones. I was given one the other day for doing a favour. It had recently been imported from Sri Lanka and when i was offered one for free i used what little knowledge i have on these to pick out a healthy one. I placed him in my tank on wednesday on top of my live rock, but the next day it had made its way to the sand and has since burried its foot under the rock and sand. Yesterday i offered it some lance fish which it took and ate. It dosn't seem to open up flat is this normal, also reading the book and mags i have on these i'm not very hopeful it will survive under my two flouresants (one 10'000k 25w power glo and one actininc).:confused:

Wee Man
03/01/2003, 08:28 PM
well i dont suggest carpets anyway they will get big (up to 48 inchs in diameter) and there sting is certain death to anything that touches it. also many carpets are injected with dye to enhance there color, all that r injected die. well ur carpet will often fold its lip into a star figure (the lip curls into five points) if this is wuts happening its nothing to worry about

brianlena2000
03/02/2003, 01:41 AM
That is definitely not enough lighting for a carpet anemone. Metal Halides would be ideal but you could probably get by with vho's depending on the size of your tank.

Brian

cyclgrl
03/02/2003, 06:27 AM
You also didn't say what type of carpet you have. II'm going to guess that you have a Haddoni since they are fairly common. Anyway, I have one, and it likes its foor buried in the sand through a rock crevice just likes yours. IMine eats almost anything: silversides, scallop, shrimp, Formula One.

You don't say what size your tank is, but unless it is tiny/shallow (in which case you shouldn't have a carpet anyway since they get large) you will need more light. I have 2x55W PC lighting directly on top of my 27G tank (20" deep).

HTH.