PDA

View Full Version : Possible cone snail

Mr Neutron
02/28/2003, 01:58 AM
Came in as a hitchhiker and looks to have the signatures of a cone snail. The shell is definitely cone shaped and there are just barely discernable rings around the end of the breathing tube.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1673

Yes, no, maybe?

TIA :cool:

K. Lee
02/28/2003, 02:09 AM
Hmmm. I wonder if that bright red on the proboscis is trying to tell us something? :eek1:

James0_85
02/28/2003, 04:29 AM
no sure :confused: are all cones poisonous

Old Yeller Tang
02/28/2003, 04:46 AM
Definitely a cone to me. I wouldn't take chances and remove it quickly!:eek2: :eek1: :eek2:

Mike_Noren
02/28/2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr Neutron
Yes, no, maybe?

Wait for Dr Rons opinion, I've mistaken conches for cones before, and the reverse mistake can of course be a lot worse... But I doubt that's a conesnail. The main reason I don't think so is because on the picture it looks to have two large stalked eyes, whereas cones are said to have small unstalked eyes. Also most coneshells I've seen have had smooth glossy surfaces, with concave spire, whereas this is dull and textured, with convex spire.

Still, I'm not at all sure, and discretion is the better part of valor. Your call.

rshimek
02/28/2003, 12:09 PM
Hi,

Thought I'd answer today rather than waiting. It is a cone snail, probably Conus jaspidus, a highly variable (in shape and color) Caribbean species. It is probably a worm eater, and not harmful to humans, but probably not reef aquarium safe, either.

To remove it, use a pair of tongs. Although the sting will not kill you, it would not likely be very pleasant, either.

Mr Neutron
02/28/2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the ID. That's odd it's Caribbean as it came cruising on Pacific live rock.

Any rate I have it in a FOWLR so I'm not worried about reef safe. Is there any danger in allowing it to stay?

traveller7
02/28/2003, 06:48 PM
Can't answer if it is safe to keep it, but if it is a worm eater, is there any chance it might eat flatworms/planaria? If so, people will be begging you to send it to them.

Turtlesteve
03/01/2003, 10:31 AM
If i'm not mistaken, i think worm eater refers to sandbed-dwelling worms. In other words, you might risk depleting your sandbed of detritivores, but other than that it should do no harm.

Mr Neutron
03/01/2003, 01:20 PM
Right now he cruises the glass. I haven't observed him eat on the sand yet. I think there are plenty of worms to go around in the 120 he's occupying however. He's too unusual and interesting for me to just throw away. :cool:

rshimek
03/01/2003, 02:17 PM
Hi,

I based the identification on the assumption that it was from Caribbean live rock. If it was from the Pacific, then it is a definitely a Conus, but which specific species is impossible to determine from the image.

Conus is the largest animal genus with well over 5,000 described species (although proabably there are only about 500 real species), and some of them are quite variable. Most are found in the Indo-Pacific.

As regards food, most cones eat polychaete worms (aka "bristle" worms). Most of the time they are quite specific in their diet and need precisely the right foods. Some, however, are generalists and can be kept quite well by feeding them on earthworms. :D

None eat flatworms.

Others eat snails, particularly conchs, and trochids (such as the typical grazers in our tanks).

A few eat fish, and these are the ones that cause problems, as the venom that kills fish will also kill people.

See this article (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/rs/index.htm) for more information, and follow the links to the conid sites and you may be able to identify the animal yourself.

:D

Mr Neutron
03/06/2003, 01:19 AM
Update:
I'm still searching for a match but as for diet this seems to be a worm feeder. It has not bothered any of the snails that are around it, and some even crawl over the cone without problem. Each night the cone snail burrows halfway into the substrate in what looks like a search for food. I'm not sure how many worms are in the substrate - would introducing small bristleworms or spaghetti worms help it along? Also are they nocturnal predators or does mine just happen to be a night owl? ;)

rshimek
03/08/2003, 08:28 AM
Hi,

Most cones are typically nocturnal. Introducing worms would probably help it - if we knew what to introduce. They are often very picky about what they eat, and worms that are not right are simply not percieved of as food.

Snail Guy
03/16/2003, 02:40 PM
After seeing the posted image and then reviewing this string, my suspicions that this was an Indo-Pacific Cone seem to be correct. The general shape of the cone suggests species such as Conus glans, C. tenuistriatus, or coffea. Too difficult to say but the picture is excellent. It may help if you can present a side or top view.

As already mentioned, its a very large family and they can sometimes present a challenge with identification.

Cheers,

Bob Abela
Tamuning, Guam

traveller7
03/17/2003, 12:32 AM
Snail Guy,

Been awhile since I have graced the shores of tamuning, but:

"Hafa Adai" to you and welcome to Reef Central :)

jimroth
03/17/2003, 09:11 PM
Bob,
Welcome to Reef Central!!!
I have to ask: You live in Guam and seem to have an interest in mollusks. Did you know my late uncle, Captain Alex Roth? He lived in Tamuning for a long time and was harbormaster for a while. Had a remarkable shell collection.

Mr Neutron
03/17/2003, 10:24 PM
From looks of those three it most resembles conus glans. I'll try to get a top down pic.