PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Stream/Reeftec Owners only

newkie
02/27/2003, 05:33 PM
Do you think that an Ampmaster 3000 on a closed loop going out through two 1" sea-swirls (and possibly a couple fixed output) could compare to two ReefTec or Tunze Stream pumps on a wavemaker?

newkie
02/27/2003, 07:27 PM
bump

marinelife
02/27/2003, 07:37 PM
I have two tunze on my 180 and they replaced an ampmaster and 4 maxijet 1200s.

eddiem
02/27/2003, 08:08 PM
Personally I think its like comparing apples and oranges. The flow of the ReefTecs/Tunze pumps is unlike anthing you will achieve with Sea-Swirls.

Personally, I bought a Reeftec PE1 to replace my Sea-Swirls. But after installing it I found the flow to be nothing like the SS's...instead I found that they compliment eachother quite nicely. I decided to leave my Sea-Swirls in with my ReefTec.

If I had to choose between the 2, I would go with the Tunze pump.

newkie
02/27/2003, 09:33 PM
Agreed they are different types of flow. I was just considering a new tank and wondering if I should have it drilled for a closed loop. But my thoughts are a strong return pump going to sea-swirls and Tunze Streams would be unbeatable.

pcreef
02/27/2003, 10:13 PM
Besides the type of flow being different and the closed loop will be more focused and not move the water in a more general "wavelike" pattern.

The controller, seen below, allows the Tunze to not only switch back and forth between units, but also controlls the pulsing effect on a unit. ie, mine are set to alternate sides, or units every 3 minutes. While a unit is running it will pulsate between 80% of maximum and 30% of maximum flow. This pulsing allows for a more rhythmic swaying of polyps or other items within the area of effect, which is also much larger than what I think you will get with the closed loop.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3dc06b3127cce948b2858c5af0000001610

This is a look at the part of the unit that is actually in the water.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3dc06b3127cce94b4c708e5cb0000001610

Finally, you will not experience anything like the heat that you would get from a pump that would move anywhere near the water that the Tunze system moves. I had an Iwaki 100RLT on mine, and once I put in the TS24 I took out my Iwaki and my chiller time was cut in half!

Good luck!

moonpod
02/27/2003, 10:16 PM
I'm thinking of 4 returns connected to two SCWD's and a pair of 6100's in a 180 myself.

Mako
02/27/2003, 10:26 PM
Newkie - That is exactly what I am doing with my new 220. Had the tank drilled for closed loop and will be using two 1"SS along with a pair of 6100's.

Now, if I can just keep the sandbed in place I will be happy. :D

newkie
02/27/2003, 11:37 PM
pcreef: what kind of elbow is that visible in the first pic? Is that what a "street" elbow is?

mako: so are you doing a closed loop still? I was considering just using the ampmaster3000 as a return pump. I'm not insane trying to move that much water through a sump am I?

bpaul_jpaul
02/28/2003, 12:03 AM
Them elbow look like two 60's put together,

No you can move a ton of water in and out of a sump. unless your going to put stuff in your sump. I was thinking about the Tunze also but went with a 4800 gpr pump @ 11 feet into three 1 inch sea swirls. Also will have a pipe or to in the rocks to move water from the back around a little. man the headaches of what to do..:)

bpaul_jpaul
02/28/2003, 12:06 AM
Tunze in that picture above looks like it takes up 6 or so inches. One on each side seems like it take up a lot of viewing area. but i like there idea. I wonder how much smaller are the smaller ones going to be?

moonpod
02/28/2003, 12:22 AM
According to Roger of Tunze, they are no smaller, the same size, just different motors.

Mako
02/28/2003, 12:39 AM
I don't know Newkie....my current system uses an AM3K for a return pump through two 3/4SS and the two 3/4 static returns. I had to modify my overflow to handle the flow and there were some issues with bubbles in my old sump, but I think it can be done easily if planned for.

I am trying to get away from moving much water out of the tank with this new system. Hence the closed loop and Tunze's. I plan on only taking about 800gph out of the tank for the fuge and skimmer chores and generate the rest of my water movement internally.

Lilgrasshopper
02/28/2003, 12:48 AM
Anyone got a picture of how to attach the tunze stream to the tank rim? I'm not sure how to do this...I have one of these units.

Flatlander
02/28/2003, 10:32 AM
My 18 watt 6080, replaced a 100w Mak4 closed loop.

My reasoning behind the Tunze pumps is to shut down my sump completely. My behind the wall tank now runs on a 6ft. cc skimmer & my ATS. Current is provided by the surge dump, a Hagen 800 powerhead in each overflow, plumbed over the top and the Tunze 6080 stream pump. More current than I ever had.

Of course the biggest difference between them and closed loops, is they are still in your tank. Depends on what someone likes I guess.

I suppose if ph,s had to be used in the tank to provide current, then closed loops are better and provide similar, but more current. The streams advantage is the type of current it puts out. The wide stream and amount, is alone worth having it in the tank, not to mention the wattage use.

moonpod
02/28/2003, 10:47 AM
Lilgrasshopper--depending on the type of tank you have, you may need to buy an accessory pack to get the stream to attach--ie I have an acrylic tank with the standard big acrylic lips--I needed another kit ($5) with rails that allowed for that lip.

One nice thing about these units is that for very little electricity, you generate a lot of flow, which allows you to cut down on your return pump--saves electricity and NOISE--the number one source in my tank is the overflow.

newkie
02/28/2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Mako
I don't know Newkie....my current system uses an AM3K for a return pump through two 3/4SS and the two 3/4 static returns. I had to modify my overflow to handle the flow and there were some issues with bubbles in my old sump, but I think it can be done easily if planned for.

I am trying to get away from moving much water out of the tank with this new system. Hence the closed loop and Tunze's. I plan on only taking about 800gph out of the tank for the fuge and skimmer chores and generate the rest of my water movement internally.

Yeah, that's got me thinking. I have Blueline 1100s I'm using now. One for a return and one for the chiller. Its possible I might have to use the ampmaster for both return and the chiller due to room in the cabinet. I also figure that an Ampmaster won't have any problems being scaled back if need be. Lastly, I was thinking of having a sps raceway in my sump.. so I'm not always growing frags out on my sandbed... and having good flow thru that would be a good thing. I really see your point though... certainly if I had the room a closed loop and tunze streams with a blueline still doing 1000gph turnover for the sump would be nice but the closed loop is out if I want the back of the tank flush with the wall.

DNA
02/28/2003, 04:09 PM
How are the noise levels from these pumps compared to the usual powerheads?

moonpod
02/28/2003, 05:29 PM
DNA the streams are silent. They don't completely turn off with the single controller (I'm not sure about the multicontroller), so there's no issue with startup noise like with conventional powerheads and wavemakers. The reeftec with the Cal E200 is silent as well. No startup noise. Not anywhere near as much flow as the stream, but perfectly fine for a smaller tank.

DocHoliday
02/28/2003, 06:43 PM
pc reef.

Are you concered at all with the tunze stream chopping your inverts to shreads?

I am in the final stages of planning my 180 sps tank, and have already drilled the tank for a closed loop system. I was planning on using an AmpMaster 3K, but reading this thread, maybe an Amp 2100 and a tunze stream?

Anyone want to comment on the "ideal" circulation for a 180 SPS tank?

moonpod
02/28/2003, 07:12 PM
Not worried about the tunze cause it doesn't turn off--ie no stop period to temp the invert into going into it. Well screened as well with the inherent design. The reeftec on the other hand has in fact killed a wrasse and a goby in my system and I was worried about my BTA for awhile.

salmon alley
03/01/2003, 12:16 AM
Great thread.

I'll toss in my .02 as well. I just spent the better part of last week completely replumbing my 125g reef.

I now have an AM3000 for the return, and a MAG18 on a closed loop to (2) 1" seaswirls. The AM is on the lower floor, so there is about 14 ft of head, my return flow is therefore pretty meager (relatively).

BUT...when we finish off the basement in the next 6 months, the tank will be making the trip down there, and I plan to alter the plumbing again.

I'm thinking that I'll probably use the AM to run the return AND the skimmer. (Since I'll be dropping to only 5 ft of head, I figure I should have ample flow for the skimmer and then some). Toying with the idea of running the return through the two sea swirls.
In addition, I'm hoping to add either two reeftecs or two Tunze streams (the smaller ones coming out in March). My thinking is that I'll get better/different overall water movement, with less noise AND less electricity consumption (I'll be able to eliminate the MAG18 and the RIO 3100 powering the pump).

Sound reasonable?

SA

endymion
03/01/2003, 01:11 AM
Do they make a 6000+gph Ampmaster at 4+ feet of head? If so you can get similar amounts of flow. Regardless of the amount the flow is going to be different between the two.

Frisco
03/01/2003, 10:25 AM
Chris you should just stop by my house and check my streams out once and for all! (frag trade while we're at it?)

Flatlander
03/01/2003, 08:51 PM
Doc, they are well screened. The only way in, is in the front and no way to get in there when its running. Now when its off, of course something could crawl or swim in. Whenever I turn mine off, I either take it out for cleaning or at least check it.

DNA, my 6080 is also silent. I actually get more glass chatter from my Hagen 800 ph.

As mentioned, their only downside as compared with closed loops, is they stand out in a tank. For me, no more so than some of the 800 ph,s I was using.

If someone went just closed loops and no powerheads, its much cleaner inside. But I think the pros, far out distance the cons. Also keeping in mind they are new.

BigLar
03/02/2003, 01:12 AM
I have a 180 SPS tank with 2 reeftec PE-2's that run full time. I really like the flow I get from these. I think I will eventually end up with the Tunze though. Which ones will compare or provide even more flow than the PE-2?

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of these? (reeftec and Tunze)

moonpod
03/02/2003, 02:30 AM
Dunno about the PE-2. I've got a PE-1 and a Tunze 6110. NO COMPARISON. The reeftec is down right pitiful compared to the 6110. I'd assume that the PE-2 though is a better performer than the PE-1. Size wise, the PE-1 is comparable to the tunze.

Markstr
03/02/2003, 03:01 AM
I am in the process of going through all of this
as well on my new 275gal. SPS-Reef.....
I am considering the following:
Spears or Hayward 3-way Motorized Ball Valve on
a Closed Loop w/ampmaster 3000 at least...
Bulkheads drilled in Rear for behind rocks etc.
Supplimented by Tunze "Turbelles" which are
externally mounted (less visibility) #4002 series
set up on a Controller.......
I have a 100gal. Sump/Refuge Combo with an Iwaki
55 for the return to the tank with a 3/4" Seaswirl
to intersect flow..
Not a cheap set up by no means so I am still
looking at all possibilitys in regards to this...

BigLar
03/02/2003, 10:13 AM
Anyone else have comments on this?