PDA

View Full Version : GSM creating sand storm

dodofish
02/27/2003, 12:17 PM
My GSM clown is contiually kicking sand up. I'm worried about my clams always getting covered in sand. Is this a common trait for this type of clown? Also, is there other types of clowns that do not play in the sand. The BTA that host the clown is midway up the reef but the clown still is creating a sand storm. Any suggestions?

TIA.

jacobdol
02/27/2003, 01:32 PM
welcome to the club...:rollface: my maroon female is nuts. :mad2: She does it non stop. She even lost a piece of her fin because of it. I actually split my tank into two halves one is for maroons which almost does not have any sand left and the other one is for the reef. I think pretty much all of the common clowns do that. At least those I have or had: perculas and tomatos - same thing.

lawndoctor
02/27/2003, 03:02 PM
My true percs never have. I always thought that was a maroon thing.

TIGER SHARK
02/27/2003, 04:39 PM
My clarkii does it so now hes in the non-reef tank without the super fine sand. He was in my reef long enough tho to teach the damsel how to do it but hes not as bad. I coulndt really get mad at the clarkii because he was just clearing out a spot to sleep

dodofish
02/28/2003, 12:41 PM
My Maroon is certainly crazy. As soon as I get the turkey baster out to dust off the rocks - she first tries to bite me and then starts kicking sand all over the place. Is there any clowns that are less likely to be such a PITA.

Please let me know. Thanks.

lawndoctor
02/28/2003, 08:40 PM
My perc pair went into my H. crispa for the first time yesterday. Today the female started kicking up the sand around the base of the anemone. She never did it before.

skippy2
02/28/2003, 09:35 PM
My yellowtailed damsel just started doing this last week. It is the only fish in my tank so maybe it is just instinctive behavior. I have had it since last August.

ecugman
03/05/2003, 03:53 PM
Does yours have a sand stirring schedule like mine?

My lights run from 12 noon until 10pm. When I get home from work each day the tank is clear. Soon the clown stars up with the sand dance and my tank stays clowdy until light out, next morning it's clear again.

Is this a timing issue (bedding down for the night), or is the clown responding to seeing me come home? I have a pair and only the female does this.

It's driving me NUTS, I would really like to sit back and look into a CLEAR tank one night. My GSMs are my favorite fish but I've been seriously thinking about doing a little fishing and returning them.

Does this behavior ever end?

JHardman
03/05/2003, 05:11 PM
ecugman,

Just for grins, put a small ceramic tile, say 6"x6" in the area that she digs. She if she stops or not.

dodofish
03/05/2003, 05:20 PM
Mine pretty much is kicking up sand all day. I have not found a particular schedule. I have tried to move small pieces of LR where she digs. This gets her really mad and she tries to move the LR first - that doesn't work so she starts to dig all around the rock and really stirs things up.

One thing I have done that seems to be working a little is that I was able to move the rock the BTA was attached to a corner. Now the clown stirs the sand in the corner and it quickly settles. She is still digging just not creating such a sand storm.

The tile idea is intersting I may give it a go, but I fear she will react in the same manner when I tried to move LR.

JHardman
03/05/2003, 07:10 PM
dodofish,

The reason I suggested to try the tile, is a thought crossed my mind in my sleep last night, thinking about clowns and digging... Anyway I have no idea if this would work or is even founded in solid thought or not. But... she might be trying to make a nest, not really to the point that a spawning is imminent, but just scouting for a nice solid piece of substraight to lay on.

I like I said stick one in there just for grins and see how she reacts. She might do the same thing as with the LR, but hey you never know with clowns.

jacobdol
03/06/2003, 01:53 AM
I tried tiles but the maroons would swim beyond the tile and do the same thing. It is definitely a settling down behavior not spawning I think.