PDA

View Full Version : puffed eye on Naso Tang

RhondaJ
02/16/2001, 10:57 AM
A few days ago I noticed my very large Naso tang's eye starting to swell. The next day it was really swollen. The fish store recommended I use Ampicillex. They said it sounded like a bacteria or fungal infection. I am very cautious when it comes to medicating my fish. The fishes eye looks really bad. It is swollen so bad it looks like a blister coming up behind the fish eye. The eye is not cloudy at all. The other fish have nothing wrong with them at all. I am not in a possition right now to take the fish out and medicate it as I have a lot of LR in the other tank cycling. What do you think? I did change about 30 gal of water. the tank is 70 gal.

billsreef
02/16/2001, 11:15 AM
I would remove the fish and treat it with antibiotics in a hospital tank. The only other possible avenue would be to try Melafix, since it can be used in the tank with inverts. At this stage the hospital tank and antibiotic would likely be the best bet though.

RhondaJ
02/16/2001, 12:16 PM
The tank the tang is in is a fish only tank with no inverts. So the antibiotics wouldn't hurt anything unless they hurt the bacteria in the tank or the other fish?

billsreef
02/16/2001, 01:46 PM
Being a FO set up you could treat in tank, that volume of water will make it kind of expensive though. The antibiotic will not be harmfull to your other fish, but it will effect your good bacteria. This effect on the good bacteria is the main reason all those packages of antibiotics tell you to change so much water so frequently, kind of hides the fact that they are lying about the antibiotics having no effect on your good bacteria.