PDA

View Full Version : BTA and coral

moco2go
02/26/2003, 11:44 PM
I have been reading up on my BTA and in one of the books I got it says that anemones will sometimes sting coral. Is this a problem? Has anyone had any trouble with this?

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
02/27/2003, 12:07 AM
it's only a problem if you can't move the corals or you're not around to move the corals. A healthy bta has no reason to move because it has all it's needs satisfied. Should your anemone start to move, i'd just make sure that the corals are on seperate little rocks so they can be moved out of the path of destruction.:D

melev
02/27/2003, 04:58 AM
Corals won't win against a BTA. I've seen xenia, mushrooms, button polyps and an SPS all react to the sting of the BTA.

TIGER SHARK
02/27/2003, 04:41 PM
So normally BTA's will stay on the rockwork. When they move though, will they travel across the sand?

Anemone
02/27/2003, 04:57 PM
No, BTAs don't normally travel across sand. They will, very occasionally, completely release their hold and "tumbleweed" across the tank (it's generally not a good sign though).

As to keeping corals and anemones together - it definitely can be done. However, if you're successful with your anemone, you can eventually end up coral-less. This tank used to contain a large (12") E. ancora, purple-tipped acropora, green star polyps, mushrooms, candycane coral, cup (turbinaria) coral, plate coral and zooanthids/button polyps. You can see what's left:
http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/550/4625anemonetank1-med.jpg

Some of the corals I managed to remove and save, some were killed by the anemones.

FWIW,
Kevin

TIGER SHARK
02/27/2003, 07:48 PM
Thats an awesome tank! and a really cool color on the anemones. How long did it take for the anemones to take over? How big is that tank? How come you dont have any clowns in there? Or are the just hiding? I have a couple corals in my tank now but I want to add an anemone before I stock it with too many more corals. So Im thinking I will try and get a BTA to stay on an island and if not, I will let him go on the rockwork and then I will move my corals onto the sandbed until the BTA settles down. Hopefully this will work with minimal damage.

TIGER SHARK
02/27/2003, 07:51 PM
ahhh haaa I see you've answered some of my questions in the other thread. So what kind of lighting do you have? Have you noticed them split more often as a result of large, frequent feedings?

wanareef
02/28/2003, 08:00 AM
Anemone

Great tank, awsome sight. I just hope our Rose BTA won't dominate our tank- but then I am currently in the design stages for our next one. Just a little bigger, maybe 225.

tigershark
Most of my corals are on smaller rocks and can be moved just in case the rose or green bta get on the move. :)

phdezra
02/28/2003, 11:14 AM
Anemone - WOW - incredible looking species [Anemonme] tank; even if it didnt start out that way. ;)

How large is the tank and what lights/wattage are you using?

Anemone
02/28/2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by phdezra

How large is the tank and what lights/wattage are you using?

It's a 65 gallon tank with 300 watts of VHO lighting.

Kevin

Linc D
02/28/2003, 09:27 PM
I have 2 condys in a 58 with various LPS and SPS corals...the condys will attach to adjacent LPS occasionally in a way that seems aggressive, but they are easy to separate. Overall, no major damage so far after several months together. Linc