PDA

View Full Version : Breeding a Gold Stripe Maroon and white stripe.

Buff
02/26/2003, 10:02 PM
Like the title says...anyone know or have experience with breeding a gold stripe maroon and a white stripe....

if so what do you get :D

maroonclwn
02/26/2003, 10:33 PM
Heard of this happening. They are the same species so it shouldnt be a problem. Dont know what the offspring would look like but i think it depends on the parents genes

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
02/26/2003, 10:41 PM
i think i heard that the white stripe gene is dominant from joyce Wilkerson's book

maroonclwn
02/26/2003, 10:54 PM
so the cross would result in all or most white striped maroons since the gold striped variety is recessive

Greenwater
02/27/2003, 02:12 PM
I have a white striped female that breeds with a gold stripe male, and the juveniles are reaching 1 year old and look more like their father. They have the wider bands that gold stripes generally exhibit and the coloration is tinted yellow. In my experience it appears that the gold stripes are the dominant gene.

jacobdol
02/27/2003, 02:26 PM
not necessarily, genes come in a set of two. your WSM female could have one gold and one white genes. SO chances are that gold gene from male merged with gold gene from female... blah blah blah.:cool:

Greenwater
03/02/2003, 11:28 PM
My white stripe maroon female is wild caught and I doubt that she had cross bred parents. As far as I have read, the territories for the two strains do not overlap.
I am not saying that in every case a WS female and a GS male would make GS babies, it is just what happened with mine.

violet21chewy
03/03/2003, 02:37 PM
I got one of greenwater's babies and she has faint yellow stripes but not the bright yellow that you would see in a gold stripe "purebred".

Bushka!
03/05/2003, 01:46 AM
Anyone know if a white and gold stripe color morph exists? :confused: would be interesting...:D

traveller7
03/05/2003, 03:17 PM
A bit too young to tell with my smallest pair but the Female and the male have yellow head stripes and 2 white body stripes.

These are 1.75" and 1" repspectively so they may go completely yellow in time. I have heard this color morph is stable though never seen one myself.