PDA

View Full Version : Do closed loops qualify as part of the tank's turnover rate ?

mirski57
02/26/2003, 02:17 PM
For instance.

I have a 180 RR.

If I run a 4600SEQ22 Sequence return pump at 20' of head I get 1200 GPH. That's only 6 2/3 times turnover. Plus, I'm probably maxing out my two 1" returns with 600GPH each anyway.

If I add a Mag 9 for a closed loop (with PVC running over the side) and run that from my stand, I 'll get an addtional 750 GPH at 5' head (3' stand + 2' tank).

Now I'm looking at ~1950 GPH(10.8 turnover). But the closed loop doesn't have anything to do with the sump in the basement. I would get good water movement, but I don't know if this can be counted in my "Total Turnover" for my tank.

What eveyone's opinion on that ?

Jamesurq
02/26/2003, 02:23 PM
I would say yes they do count in your turnover calculations. People count powerheads, so I would assume closed loops count also.

cwa46
02/26/2003, 02:30 PM
The turn over from your sump can be as low as 3X-4X gph. Thats enough to keep the temperature pretty constant. After that how you get more turnover is pretty much open. More from your return, a closed loop, or powerheads is up to you. Having powerheads in the tank doesn't look as good, but works fine. A closed loop doesn't add heat to the tank and is probably more power efficient in creating non-directional current, especially if the output is split and valved.

Brett
02/26/2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by mirski57
If I add a Mag 9 for a closed loop (with PVC running over the side) and run that from my stand, I 'll get an addtional 750 GPH at 5' head (3' stand + 2' tank).

For what it's worth you would actually have no or very little head pressure on a closed loop... the water coming down from the tank going to the pump equals out the pressure of the water going back up to the tank.

HTH,
Brett