PDA

View Full Version : Pairing of Yellow stripe Maroons

LotR Clown
02/26/2003, 11:51 AM
Got a 1" gold-stripe and added it to my 3+" female gs and no problems at all so far. She doesn't even lunge at him they are eating and staying together. Kind of cool. I'm glad I got Joyce's book since I tried to pair 2 even sized maroons when I first got into the hobby. Hopefully they will breed in a year or two.
:rollface:

Addicted Reefer
02/26/2003, 03:24 PM
I wanted to get another maroon but mine attacked a much bigger tomato. Is it supposed to be easier to get a maroon to except a smaller one? Heres mine hiding in its LTAs.

LotR Clown
02/26/2003, 03:29 PM
If you've had your maroon for a while it is more than likely a female. How big is it? If it is about 2.5 inches get a small one about 1". But when you add the second one, put some eggcrate or make something that will allow the smaller one to escape to in case the female or resident decides to attack(something she cant get into). The greater the size difference between the two the better luck you will have.
HTH

Addicted Reefer
02/27/2003, 10:38 AM
She is about 3 1/2 inches long and 3/4 wide now she had a big growth spurt recently. She does not attack me when i stick my hand in but will hit rocks in my hand and things like that. I was moving a 90 gallon and had to put a huge tomato clown in there with her. This tomota was 3 times as big as mine at the time. For a few days she messed with the big clown she was very docile towards the maroon. Then one day i come home and she is no where to be found and the fat tomato is sitting in the pour anemones beating the crap out of them. So i know she is very aggresive if i get one it will be small so hopefully she does not see it as a threat. How big should i get if the clown is the size of mine?

LotR Clown
02/27/2003, 11:17 AM
If you want a maroon pair, get the smallest possible. I would say no more than 1.5". Maroons can be agressive against other clowns which it feels is a threat to their territory. That is probably what happened with the tomato since it was introduced after the maroon had claimed the tank as it's territory. I would not keep a maroon with another type of clown some have but I would bet the maroon was added after the maroon was introduced.
HTH

Addicted Reefer
02/27/2003, 02:34 PM
I am going to try it. I will get the smallest one i can get but hopefully not smaller than an inch. The brittle star might try and eat it. I have another reef tank i can put it in if things don't work out.:thumbsup: I am going to make a square to put in the corner in the front out of egg crate. There are to many ways into the back of the tank to just block off a section. How did you like the clown book? Now i have to wait for a perfect yellow stripe maroon to come in to the LFS.:D Can i put a white stripe with a yellow?

LotR Clown
02/27/2003, 02:55 PM
I don't think they would notice the color difference. It will just know there is another clown in it's territory. I might be wrong, but my male is still a juvenile and the yellow has not developed completely. Mostly white stripes with yellow splotches. My female didn't care either way.
GL

Typhon
02/27/2003, 03:08 PM
I have a maroon about 3.5" and I tried to mate her with one that was about 1". They were both Gold Stripped, but the smaller one was a much brighter orange than the female. First when the small male enter the tank, it swam directly for the BTA and was met head on by the female. The female began to beat on the male, until the male finally gave up and hide behind the powerhead. That is where he stayed for 3 days before i removed him. I should of put the male in to some type of see throught container or egg crate. A lot of it is luck.

Addicted Reefer
02/27/2003, 03:19 PM
It is risky i agree. I think i am going to try it. If i even see a maroon that is perfect size and healthy. I might have the 180 by then.:D