PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor mod...

lemonlib
02/26/2003, 11:42 AM
Hello,
I just bought a k2r calcium reactor. A friend of mine is saying to tap the top of the calcium reactor and making another loop to use up unused co2...has anybody done this before...

what is the deal on having two cambers anyway vs. one camber...
My friends say that the ph would be lower or vise versa...

help
thanks
Lemon

Leopardshark
02/26/2003, 06:37 PM
You can connect the outflow tube of the reactor to the inlet of another chamber with media. This way the unused Co2 from the first chamber will be used int he second chamber. This is pretty simple to do, in fact I did that this weekend but haven´t tested the effluent for kh yet.
In theory, ph of the tank won´t go down because less Co2 will be entering the system so it won´t lower the ph of the tank, also you will have higher ca and alk levels.
You can check at my web page under misc equipment and you will see my reactor and the second chamber.
HTH
Marco

lemonlib
02/27/2003, 03:19 AM
so...the more co2 the higher my ph is going to be.....and i dont want that right...

sorry its really hard to figure out this reactor...

I have it set at effluent at 35ml a minute. I have about 40 bubbles a minute...the tank alk was 3.2 meq/l so was the effluent was also 3.2...

can you point me to a thread or something....

thanks
Lemon

Leopardshark
02/27/2003, 02:29 PM
so...the more co2 the higher my ph is going to be.....and i dont want that right...
No, the more Co2 the lower the ph, but more media will dissolve and you will get higher ca and alk.

About the ml and bubbles per minute, there´s no rule of thumb, I sun mine at 60-80 bubbles per minute and about 80-100 drops per minute but each system is different

can you point me to a thread or something....
Go to the chemistry forum, Randy will tell you everything you need.

HTH

Marco