PDA

View Full Version : frogspawn question

goot
02/25/2003, 05:38 PM
I have a coral that was sold to me under the name frogspawn, but I haven't been able to find out much about it. It is like a "Y". One tip of the "Y" ends in hundreds of bubbly things,but the other end of the 'Y" has, for lack of a better term, "feelers", much like a feather duster, except there is 3 of them, one rather large one, and 2 small ones.

So my qustion is 2 part. Is this a normal frogspawn? And in feeding, I have been feeding both ends of the "Y", but is there a primary "mouth" that I should instead focus on? Both ends seems to take food quite readily.
Thanks,
Goot

EricHugo
02/25/2003, 07:21 PM
I have a feeling one of the branches isn't a corallite but the tube of a worm or something?

goot
02/25/2003, 08:03 PM
thanks for responding. Can it be the tube of a worm? They both share the same "body" and the "feeler" part is the exact same color as the bubbly part. If I can figure out how to post a picture of it I will.
Thanks,
Goot

goot
02/25/2003, 09:04 PM
OK here is a picture of the frogspawn in question. It's not the best picture, but it seems to be the best I can gt it for now. Sorry and Thanks. Please forgive me if I screw this up.
Thanks,
Goot

goot
02/25/2003, 09:09 PM
Here is another picture that is a bit better.
Thanks,
Goot

Greg Rob.
02/26/2003, 12:09 AM
It appears to be Aptaisia to me, a common scourge for reef tanks.

chopper320
02/26/2003, 03:46 AM
I think it's aiptasia too. I find it pretty funny that it's growing on the skeleton right where the frogspawn used to be, like it belongs there.

EricHugo
02/26/2003, 09:19 AM
It is indeed Aiptasia.

MotoTrixMichael
02/26/2003, 05:37 PM
a pic of my spawn...I think

Napalm
02/26/2003, 06:36 PM
Looks like you should have researched before buying. You should enjoy the frogspawn, but now unfortunately you have to deal with aiptasia. I wouldn't wish those damn things on anyone. I am fighting that battle and it SUCKS! You better get rid of them quick or in a few months you will have hundreds.

Covenant
02/27/2003, 01:18 AM
If I were you, I'd break off the branch of the skeleton that the aiptasia's on as soon as possible and get rid of it.

TJReef
02/27/2003, 02:01 PM
I read somewhere that you could kill aiptasia by squirting straight calcium additive into the mouth and into the body cavity, so I tried it on a few I had starting in refugium and it appears to have worked. I used a pipet and part B or Kents 2 part calcium supplement, then with the aiptasia fully open I pushed the end of the pipet onto where the mouth is (it'll close up rapidly) and squirted. The next day they seemed to have melted away with no regrowth from pieces (like when you pull them off). I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has tried this method???