PDA

View Full Version : Looking to make things more simple

snowreef
02/15/2001, 11:57 AM
Hi,

I have a 55 FOWLR and recently moved about an hour away from work. So it seems that I leave before the lights come on and get back about two hours befor they go off. :(

I have also found that I don't have as much time to spend "working" on the tank. I need some suggestions to make it more simple. So, any suggestions?

I already have a caleurpa refugim and skimmer. I try to do a 10% water every weekend but sometimes it just dosen't happen.

Agu
02/15/2001, 12:47 PM
Adjust your lighting so it matches your schedule. Adjust it by 10 or 15 minutes a day and your fish will never know the difference. My lights come on at noon and go off at 10:30. That way I can enjoy the tank instead of staring at a black box of water.

Agu

LiquidShaneo
02/15/2001, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I've got my reef tank setup so the halides stay on until 10 pm and the actinics go off at 11 PM. They don't know the difference... ;)

It would also help if you posted what you have to do as a maintenance/feeding schedule. We may be able to help you find some time-saving things there too...

liquid

Staceon
02/15/2001, 01:21 PM
Hello Snowreef,

You could also probably back those water changes off to once a month. Magnetic algae scrapers work well for the cleaning the glass too.

hughem
02/15/2001, 05:14 PM
A water replenishment system is a good addition for many reasons. If it replaces water based on the level in the sump, it does so gradually, so the water chemistry never changes significantly (unlike just dumping several gallons in the sump by hand). Depending on what kind of skimmer you use, it keeps the level in that at an optimum point, so skimming is more effective. It also reduces incidents of sump level dropping to the point where return pump sucks some air, blowing it all over your corals!

You can either make one, or buy one.