PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Colonial Polyps: Do they contain Zooxanthellae?

Pineapple House
02/25/2003, 05:29 PM
In the 'Marine Fish and Reef USA' 2003 addition, on page 110, it clearly states:
"Yellow Colonial Polyps (Parazoanthus aximellae) do not have zooxanthellae and reproduce readily in captivity"

I have always thought that they did have zooxanthellae? Even from my experience they have reproduced twice as much with halides than with PC's or No Outputs. I am also sure from other sources (Inlcuding many posts here at RC), that they do have zooxanthellae.

Here's a quote from Liveaquaria.com:

They contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae which provide some of their nutritional requirements.

That can be found here:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...d=22&pCatId=675

So, do they have zooxanthellae? I know the tentacles are longer on the yellow colonial polyps, as the more carnivorous ones will be longer to ensure a better ability for food capture, but I didn't know they were completely void of zooxanthellae?

Thanks,

Graham =)

EricHugo
02/25/2003, 07:27 PM
First of all, no one has idenitified the yellow polyps we get in the trade, and they are NOT axinellae... axinellae, not aximellae (sp., too), and yes the tropical ones we get generally do have zooxanthellae. P. axinellae is not a tropical species and does not have zoox..that is true...but no one is collecting reef zoanthids from the Baltic Sea and the Mediterranean. I guess that's what you get for believing what's written in most fish mags.

TS
02/26/2003, 02:59 AM
I read that article as well.... one of MANY things I could not believe I was reading in that particular issue.