PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions about my tank..

abp667
02/25/2003, 10:58 AM
I am hopefully nearing the end of the cycle one my 55g tank both ammonia and nitrite are close to zero just not completely. I am also apparently near the end of a diatom bloom. A week ago the the algae was a deep brown color and has since started to fade and recede a bit. But i also notice my water now has a slight brownish/yellowish tint to it. Should i get a small carbon filter that i can use to clear up the water a bit in situations like this? I have also not added any snails or conches yet to help clear up the algae problem as i haven't finished cycling yet. Does all this seem fairly normal.
some other notes- 4-5" DSB 47lbs of live rock, 2x55w pc(I am switching to 4x65w pc this week)

wishmaster
02/25/2003, 11:20 AM
Sounds like everythings right on scheduale. You can get some carbon in a filter bag or something to help polish the water if you want to, it won't hurt anything. Sounds like in a couple more days your cycle will be complete, then you can add whatever you wish.

sspargur
02/25/2003, 11:34 AM
I'm assuming that you don't have a skimmer?

abp667
02/25/2003, 12:34 PM
Doh forgot to put that down.. i have an Excalibur HV-1 hang on skimmer

abp667
02/25/2003, 12:36 PM
do i have to buy a whole filter unit or can i just buy a carbon filter bag and place it somewhere within my skimmer unit? Like in the return section or something.

SurferStevo
02/25/2003, 12:48 PM
do i have to buy a whole filter unit or can i just buy a carbon filter bag and place it somewhere within my skimmer unit? Like in the return section or something.
do you have an external overflow to put it in? That would be a good spot. Some place where all water must pass through.

wishmaster
02/25/2003, 01:16 PM
I use the Remora skimmer and I put carbon in a filter bag in the return portion of my skimmer box. Does your skimmer have somewhere you can put carbon?

abp667
02/25/2003, 01:24 PM
I have the overflow box that hangs into the tank. Partitioned. One spot for the pump and the other for the return.
Now on to the worst ascii drawing ever

TADA!!!!:D

grrrrr my awfull ascii drawing wouldn't work... i edited it out to save you from the horror