PDA

View Full Version : bta feeding

moco2go
02/25/2003, 12:27 AM
I am new to RC, salt water, and anemones. I recently got a bta for my tank. After looking at these forums I know I should invest in a good book (know any good ones). But if anyone wants to give any advise I would sure appreciate it. I have a 29 gallon tank (9 months old) with the bta (almost a month), maroon clown, a few pieces of coral and about 35 pds of LR. I have 55 wts x3 power compax. My main quesstion (on the bta) is feeding, how to, what to, and how much. He appears to be fine; however, I do not realy know. I will be sure in the future to read up on whatever I buy. sorry

mike

drewber
02/25/2003, 12:41 AM
should of posted before buying, but ill try to help you get started.

get more light, depending on the size, feed them thawed frozen mysis, or silversides, every day if it will eat everyday

moco2go
02/25/2003, 12:42 AM
thanks

jacobdol
02/25/2003, 01:14 AM
you can make a mix from clams, mussles and jumbo shrimp. Froze it. And then feed you anemone 2-3 times a week with 1/2-1 teaspoon of the mix cut in about 1/4 inch pieces.

Smoker
02/25/2003, 01:51 AM
IMO you yave plenty of light for a BTA, but others may disagree, and I am certiantly no expert. Among other foods, you can feed krill and lancefish. Try to include the guts and bones as they are very nutritious.

jacobdol
02/25/2003, 02:08 AM
agree with Smoker!

wanareef
02/25/2003, 04:36 AM
What smoker said- but need more lights. IMO :D

Jive Turkey
02/25/2003, 06:24 AM
Fresh prawn and Formula One, 3 times a week, has helped my Sebae to become healthy and green.

moco2go
02/25/2003, 09:43 PM
thanks, I got some silversides and krill today (both frozen I hope thats Ok). bta seems to like it.
Thanks for all the help. I diffently will read up on anything else I decide to buy. BTW if I do not have enough light for the BTA or any other anemone I might want(55w blue, 55w clear, 65w 50/50), what would be considerd enough.

Thanks again
mike

drewber
02/26/2003, 12:26 AM
well that would depend on several things,

a. How large is the tank?
b. How Deep is the tank from top to bottom
c. Price range
d. Quality of lighting that you want

A good rule of thumb, always spread light evenly through out the tank.

also blue light, can help get a better color out of things.

6500k lights are yellow, while 20k are a more crisp white.

i personally aim for 4 watts per gallon, and definatly some time of MH if the tank is deeper then 20inches

that is my opionion but others will always vary, talking lighting with a reefer is like talking about politics and relgeion with friends and family =-)

cyclgrl
02/26/2003, 02:28 PM
55Wx3 for a standard 29G tank is fine for your anemone IMO.

Silversides and krill are fine. Just be sure to thaw them out before you feed the anemones. Also, cut them up into bite-size pieces. You can feed as often as daily, but just watch if your anemone spits out the leftovers afterwards. If it does, then you don't need to feed as much or as often.

Also, the more you feed, the more it will grow. Outgrowing your 29G may be a concern.

I also feed my anemones raw scallop or shrimp from a regularly grocery store. They also have accepted the Formula One fish food that I have given them on occasion. Finally, my LTA seems to like fish flake food fine too (that's indirectly fed to him by my tomato clown).

Cindy

moco2go
02/26/2003, 09:59 PM
thanks. I will be careful, for out growing the tank is a major concern. I am going to get a much bigger tank later, but not till I am sure I can take care of a small one first.

Thanks again
mike