PDA

View Full Version : what is the most common carpet color?

cyclgrl
02/24/2003, 10:55 PM
Subject line says it all. I'm guessing green?

jacobdol
02/25/2003, 01:46 AM
nah, haddoni is light brown with green, yellow or gray tentacle ends. My guess is when you buy a bright green or blue anemone it has been dyed. Mertensii has a bit brighter color.

BonsaiNut
02/25/2003, 12:18 PM
Most carpet anemones are brownish color (when healthy) or a pale white color when they have bleached. haddoni is most commonly brownish and sometimes exhibits greyish striping. They DO occur naturally with green, blue, and red coloration, with respective rarity. The green is uncommon, the blue is somewhat rare, the red or pink is very rare. Anemones may be brought into the trade and dyed, but I have never seen a dyed one that I am aware of. I have kept green and blue carpet anemones in the past that started with a faded colors and became a strong dark, electric color when put into a healthy environment and under strong lighting, so I know that the blue and green colors are natural. I have not had the pleasure to keep a red one, though I have seen them for sale.

"Yellow" carpet anemones do not exist in the wild - yellow carpets are green carpets that have been bleached. If you are lucky enough to save a yellow carpet, it will turn green once it colors up in your tank.