PDA

View Full Version : Anemones waste?

Stretch
02/23/2003, 09:06 PM
I got a anemone yesterday it seems to be doing very well, It's still in the spot where i put it and seem to expanded out a bit more. :) I feed it this afternoon, i think it ate the krill i feed it, well now coming out of it's mouth is some brown or black substance, my guess it's waste, i looks fairly hard looking. So is this normal:confused: sorry if this is a stupid question

heres a pic BTW

http://members.shaw.ca/jessehamel/afish.jpg

kris4647
02/23/2003, 09:21 PM
I never had good luck with sebae's, but to answer your question some people call it purging. To put it delicately remember anenome only has one way in to eat and to get rid of waste it uses the same orifice. I've kept them many years and thats the only explanation I've heard and come to believe. It's not a bad thing unless it starts happening very often, it might be anecdotal but I've found that when they start purging often they don't last long. Good Luck--------Kris

jeromieg
02/23/2003, 09:40 PM
I have also read the same thing in one of my books. Which one I cannot remember. But it said not to concern yourself when it does this because it has to poop sometime :-)

Also, is that a true percula clown hosting in it? I have had no luck with mine and they have been together in the tank with my Sebae for over a month.

Stretch
02/23/2003, 09:46 PM
No it's a false. the clown is pretty young yet, hopefully they will figure out what going on, plus it only been in the tank for a day now. The pic is prety dark since i'm adjusting the light for my anemone right now.

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
02/24/2003, 07:06 PM
It either is pooping or expelling it's symbitic algae which is not good. From your pic it looks like it's dyed which is unfortunate because this usually leads to the anemone's death. Sebae's and haddoni carpets that a day-glo colors are usually dyed with the exception of the bright green and blue carpets. Just try to feed it as much as you can with the most varied and nutritious foods to keep it healthy

Saliki
02/28/2003, 03:17 AM
My flower anemone does this about every week or 2 lately...and I was starting to worry....but it looks about 20% bigger then when I bought it....so it must be ok. I hear Flower anemones are near impossible to kill.............

Wee Man
03/01/2003, 01:23 AM
my 2 foot diameter carpet did this alot bcuz he ate everything in tnak i find it perfectly normal, but watch out if ur sabae get harassed it mihgt destroy ur whole tank, chem war