PDA

View Full Version : mixing clowns in tank?

goot
02/23/2003, 05:54 PM
Hi there. I have a pair of Percula clowns, that have been together since they were small. I would like to purchase a few more clowns, but I was wondering if there would be any problems putting them together since the pair have been together so long. I am assuming that since they spend all their time in close proximity to each other that they are , or on the way to becoming a mated pair, and I don't want to screw up their relastionship.

I also know that the books say that you can not mix different types of clownfish, but I was wondetring iif it was possible to add another pair of clowns with a much different coloring scheme?

Thanks,
Goot

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
02/23/2003, 05:59 PM
Most clown-mixing situations end in injury due to fighting and stress. The will not tolerate other clown species usually. Some people have had sucess with mixing species but they're either in large tanks or as juveniles when they are not as agressive as when mated pairs or established females. I think you should just pick another fish.

SurferStevo
02/23/2003, 06:01 PM
They will fight! http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/e/uzi.gif
But if you have a big enough tank you can get away with more.

goot
02/23/2003, 06:58 PM
what about just mixing in other small percula, or will the mated pair fight with them as well?
Thanks,
Goot

SurferStevo
02/23/2003, 11:32 PM
I think you'd have to get like 3 or more so aggression will be spread out. That way they could develop a pecking order like they do in nature. But, I'm not totally sure on this.

DAS115
02/25/2003, 11:54 AM
recent personal experience...

I added two small percs to bond with my larger perc. She made her choice and the third wheel was ostracized from the anemone and quickly died. If you want a harem it is better to buy them all at the same time as juveniles and let them work it out as they mature.