PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 'non-radical' sand sifter; any suggestions?

Loserboy
02/14/2001, 03:10 PM
I have a fairly new 55 with a fine sand layer on the top of my DSB. I am looking for a sand sifter that will only work on the surface of the sand to help it look cleaner but I don't want something that will eat all of my good bugs that are working for me or rearrange my LR. I would also prefer something that might help with the brown algae patches that have shown up after the first bloom because my astrea snails and scarlet hermits don't like the sand. The LFS guy suggested a barred gody but I have never seen one munch on sand before. Any suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Next question: my LR and sand bed is teeming with tiny critters that hop around in the shadowy nooks, do you think I can I sustain a Mandarin Goby? My kids would love it if you said yes!

G-money
02/14/2001, 11:09 PM
Hey Loserboy,

I would try a sand-sifting cucumber. Either a Tiger tail or the plain brown (doody-looking ;) ) variety. They will keep your sandbed clean. 1 or 2 will be plenty in a 55. Probably only 1 to allow for growth. They aren't the least bit carnivorous, so they won't harm your critters. They spend pretty much all of their time on the sand.

As for the mandarin, you will likely get many different suggestions. Mine is that a "fairly new" 55 gallon won't support a mandarin for long in most cases. That is, unless you can get one that will also eat comercial foods or if you have a well-functioning, mature refugium. If you allow the pod population to grow unmolested for about a year, you will have a better chance of success with a "typical" mandarin. You will also want close to 100 lbs. (or more) of live rock to support the "suitable" population of pods for your mandarin. JMO, so nobody be flamin'....but disagree if you like :)

Good luck!

Adrian
02/15/2001, 03:52 AM
Rainfords gobies are very attractive little non radical sifters. As for the mandarin wait until your tank is mature and you can actually see copepods running around in great numbers. I to thought I had enough LR, 150lb., and a mature enough tank, but a few weeks after introducing a mandarin I could see it was starving and had to take it back. They do best in tanks with a very low fish load, close to none becouse most fish will gobble up copepods and leave none for the mandarin. Good luck.

FISH WHISPERER
02/15/2001, 05:29 AM
Hi,
I certainly agree with both Geez and Adron. I would guess you can build up a suitable population, but then the Mandy would come in and clean the table and be looking at you for seconds in about a month or so. I've never kept a Mandarin, so please don't think I am preaching expertise. But I've closely followed several discussions and learned from other's experience and mistakes. From everything I have studied, I wouldn't try a Mandy without some type of refugium to harvest its constant need for them in any type of community tank. Some will say they've kept them in communities with no refugium and I don't question it. I'd just want to be as safe as I could, because more folks have lost them than kept them. :) Fair enough? There are so many other types of fish if you are looking for your kids. This I DO speak with experience! ;) My kids are at the foremost of my thoughts when considering anything, although I don't go through fish so its been awhile. Our latest addition was a dusky jawfish. That is an incredible treat for youngsters, although it is boring to some. It's intricate building of a burrow to call "home" is an ongoing process of maintenance ;) and they way they'll stand up in their entrance and watch the kids usually meets up to their demands of an entertaining fish!! ;) And at feeding time, wow you should see these pups dart out of their hole up to the food and back in a fraction of a second. I mean that: a fraction of a second. Blink, and you'll miss it. The best thing? They do not eat the pods and don't eat anything in the sandbed. A diet of brine shrimp is indulged by them, but it is healthy to try to get them to accept Formula I or II cubes. Just another suggestion, and man are there a ton of 'em! Good luck :)

saltbuddy
02/15/2001, 01:06 PM
there are plenty of critters. what do you mean by non-intrusive ?

tiny critter ? dragonettes love amp/pods, brine, and other tiny crustations. I would think that a 75 reef would keep one without a doubt.

BRW
02/15/2001, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by ADRON420
Rainfords gobies are very attractive little non radical sifters
I second this recommendation. I have 2 A. rainfordi in my 225 gal. reef and they are constant top level sand sifters. They are constantly within about 2" of the bottom, therefore never deposit sand on rock, corals, etc. Also, they do not dig and undermine rock formations and such. JMHO.

Wroink
02/15/2001, 05:14 PM
Let's touch back on this cucumber for a second. How established does a tank need to be for one to be introduced? I'm looking to recruit a sandsifter as well. How big do they get?

Thanks,
Tom

Loserboy
02/15/2001, 09:19 PM
I was thinking of a Rainfordi for the sand and pretty much knew the answer on the Mandarin (but I was hoping).

vanguard
02/15/2001, 09:35 PM
Loserboy,

I realize that this thread is just about over. However, I ran across this great link (http://ozreef.org/reference/mandarin_survey.html) about mandarines that you would probably be interested in.

DerrickT
09/20/2002, 06:18 PM
Hey, Loser

I agree, the court jester gobies would make excellent sand cleaners that won't harm your DSB. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one in any of my LFS for the past year. Last time I saw one, it was 35 bucks. But with that money, I think you can 30 Nassarius snails or so. Either way, both are good recommendations by reefers above. Now I just have to find that gobie myself.