PDA

View Full Version : Anenomes and overflows

andyeig
02/22/2003, 10:20 AM
Hi all,

I am thinking of adding a rose anenome to my 120 gallon reef. It will be the first invert I will add. The tank will be running with rock and sand bed for 6 months. I was wondering what people due to prevent anenomes from wandering into overflow and clogging drain pipes. Eggcrate over the top?

Thanks,

Andy

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
02/22/2003, 05:04 PM
anemones really shouldn't be the first invert that you add. They need to be in an established tank where you have already added the other hardier inverts like softies and other things.

To prevent them from wandering to intakes and whatnot you can create a "bommie" i read about it in an article and it is basically a rock island not touching any wall or other rocks. you put the anemone on this and since bta's dont walk on the sand then it can't wander into anything. One thing you can't stop is if it doesn't like the conditions it can fill itself up with water and float around your tank. To be extra safe just cover powerhead intakes with a sponge. the egg crate sounds like a good idea for the overflow but anemones dont wander unless there's something wrong so it would be wiser to fix that