PDA

View Full Version : difference between 2 carpet anemones

TIGER SHARK
02/21/2003, 07:39 PM
I think the Stichodactyla gigantea and Stichodactyla haddoni
can look very similar. I want either a bright green or blue one of the Stichodactyla gigantea variety because I have some false percs. I think also the mertens anemone would be ok but I dont really see those around. How can I tell the difference at my LFS, they just know them as carpets and I wouldnt trust them to know the difference in species.

K. Lee
02/21/2003, 07:50 PM
The S. gigantea has much longer tentacles than a S. haddoni for one, probably the most identifiable feature. I don't know if I've ever seen a living S. gigantea (at least not in my memory). They supposedly die like 99.9% of the time before ever reaching a retailer.

kris4647
02/21/2003, 08:08 PM
Occassionally the Gigant's make it to some one's home .......................................and then die. Of course I'm not speaking from personal experience <--------[Sarcasm]. Tentacle size and some I've seen wave their tent's back and forth, looks cool then dies...................Good luck...Try Haddoni [Sp?]

jacobdol
02/21/2003, 08:27 PM
mertensii and haddoni are often to be sold at LFSs. I cannot tell for sure but I think that mertensii has thicker disc and it is mostly oval; short tenticales
haddoni is fluffier because the tentacles are longer, more distinctive with little bubble shape tips. The disk is thinner and more round. Also it has distinctive robust column.
here is more info:
http://biodiversity.uno.edu/ebooks/ch1.html#class

although the pictures are not that great
be the way I am selling my haddoni.

TIGER SHARK
02/21/2003, 08:39 PM
Ok so the ones I have seen have really short tenticles, look more like small bumbs than tenticles. So these are probably mertens? VS haddoni? Since the gigantica usually die, its probably not these since my LFS always has these carpet anemones. I will check the mouth next time and see if its more oval or circular.

K. Lee
02/21/2003, 08:47 PM
The Mertensii all 99.9% die too. :( I think they die more than S. gigantea. The small bumps (actually about 2 -5 mm long) are S. haddoni tentacles.

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
02/21/2003, 08:50 PM
your best chances are with the haddoni. that's the one you saw at your lfs with the small tentacles.

TIGER SHARK
02/21/2003, 08:57 PM
shoot really? I thought the haddoni had longer tenticles than bumps but not sure. I really want an anemone that will host my false percs and will most likely stay in the sandbed instead of finding a rocky location. Is there any hope with a haddoni?

K. Lee
02/21/2003, 09:01 PM
A. polymnus are definately a symbiont. They were/are also royal pains in my 200 gallon. I put them in my 45, which is also where my S. haddoni is after it ate "it's" second Hippo! :mad:

S. haddoni usually bury their foot into the sand beneat rock. They like good flow and good light, but nothing blasting as far as flow. I don't offhand know what the other natural symbionts are with S. haddoni except A. polymnus.

kris4647
02/21/2003, 09:07 PM
Yes there is hope I'm looking at a Haddoni right now in the sand hosting two a.Nigripes for about two years. In practical terms it's tough to look at any one individual and say this is definately ..................! You should use the guidelines tou have heard in this chat and also some general rules about anen's which you can find in another chats [ie they should have a closed mouth, be very sticky, have been at the store over a week and with carpets the shape is also important, they should'nt look like a quarter lying on the floor; the healthy one's stand up and have folds around the edges.] It always hit and miss with this hobby, but you started in the right place by researching the species before you buy. Lotsa Luck------Kris

RobboT
02/21/2003, 09:55 PM
As far a haddoni's liking sand vs rock mine is in the sand at the front left corner of the tank and seems quite happy there. He hasn't moved once since I put him there 3 months ago. My clown is a clark though so cant speak for percs.

cyclgrl
02/22/2003, 12:06 AM
How do you know your clowns won't host in a Haddoni? I bet they will. Who cares what the books say, IME, clowns will host with a hairbrush.

Cindy

jacobdol
02/22/2003, 12:56 AM
I tried to host both maroons and tomato clowns in a haddoni -- no success. here is a picture of my haddoni

Gary Majchrzak
02/22/2003, 09:07 PM
Nice anemone jacobdol. How about a pair of black A. clarkii for it?

imgrtful
02/22/2003, 09:11 PM
heres mine

Gary Majchrzak
02/22/2003, 09:16 PM
Saddleback clowns {A. polymnus} would go good with these Haddon's carpet anemones as well as 'Clark's' anemonefish.

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
02/22/2003, 09:33 PM
Who cares what the books say, IME, clowns will host with a hairbrush.

:lol: true

Dlckwood
02/23/2003, 04:03 AM
Why are you selling your anemone?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2309573029&category=3212
Your not letting your clowns get to you are you. Good luck with your sale, it looks like a great anemone. How do you plan on getting it off whatever it is atached to.
DAL:p

jacobdol
02/23/2003, 04:54 PM
I have premnas and f. ocellaris. So I have no need for the haddoni :-(
I have done a couple of things to remove an anemone from the tank:
#1. Use a small powerhead and point an outlet at an anemone. After a while it will detach in order to move away from the current and that's when you pick it up and remove from the tank. This process may take anywhere between 1 to 12+ hours and you should check back every hour to make sure you are not going to miss when the anemone detaches
#2. Slightly touch the anemone to make it shrink. Clear the sand around its foot and slowly insert a finger between the foot and the glass (or whatever it's attached to). Continue to insert fingers one by one until the anemone is not attached to the bottom anymore. Do not force it.

Dlckwood
02/23/2003, 06:22 PM
Thanks, I'll have two try those two techs. I,ve only heard of the ice cube trick.

cyclgrl
02/23/2003, 07:52 PM
So can you explain the ice cube trick? I have heard references to it more than once, but no one has ever explained it to me.

Dlckwood
02/23/2003, 10:18 PM
The way I understand that it works is that first you put the icecube in a plastic bag. This is so you dont damage the anemone by touching it exactly with the ice. You rub it around gently by the foot and theoreticaly it should try and move and you can get it off easier but I have never done this.