PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Remora Pro today !!!!!

kramer1
02/13/2001, 05:36 PM
I just recieved my Remora Pro today to replace my CPR Bakpak
on my 46 gallon reef tank ! I can't wait for it to start
pulling junk out of my tank! How long before I should see
some foam production ? Remora pro owners where do you have
your collection cup set for proper foam production ? And
last is anyone using the surface skimmer option ? Did it
make a difference ?

Thanks,

Rich

shred5
02/13/2001, 06:08 PM
Good skimmer. Mine started skimming within hours. As far as adjusting the cup goes It really depends on how much protien your tank is producing. I had mine up high when I first got it, but now I keep it pretty low. I have the surface skimmer but I have not installed it yet. I wont till I install a better top off system. Right now I just use a drip system to top off my tank. I have a ultra life float switch but I have not had time to install it. I am afraid to use the surface skimmer with my drip system because it is not a very accurate way to top off water. On dry days my water level drops some and on humid days it rises a little. I am afraid that when I am gone for a weekend my water level may drop to low and the pump will run dry. From what I hear the surface skimmer is great for removing the slime on top the water.

dave

moses
02/14/2001, 12:47 PM
Pardon me, but what is the surface skimming option? I have had a Remora Pro since last May, and have never heard of this feature. This would be a big deal for me as I have a ton of gunk on the top water, and have not yet figured out how to remove it without blasting my lights with ph's or investing in more overflows.

Thanks
:rollface:

shred5
02/14/2001, 12:57 PM
moses
Here ya go http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=AQUAC-RSSP&Category_Code=AquaC

Dave

moses
02/14/2001, 01:08 PM
Got it. Thanks Dave.

kramer1
02/14/2001, 09:09 PM
Well the skimmer seems to be doing pretty good. It was
foaming within 2 hours of startup and has collected a
little gunk, but I do have the cup set pretty high now.
Once it runs a few days I will fine tune cup adjustment.

Rich

Canadian
02/14/2001, 09:22 PM
Doesn't the surface skimmer box for the Remora have a hole in it like the CPR Bak Pak one? Right in the side (I guess it's actually the front when I think about it) there is a small hole about 1/4" in diameter. I don't know what kind of effect this has on the ability to effectively surface skim (I've always just run my skimmers in the sump) but it seems like it would quell any concerns about the pump running dry.

shred5
02/14/2001, 10:06 PM
Hey Andrew

There is no hole in the side. There are two plastic screws in the side that clamp on to the rio tho. It is a big box too.

Dave

Canadian
02/14/2001, 10:18 PM
If the hole doesn't cause any problems with effective surface skimming then maybe you could just drill a hole in the side of the box. I remember being taken aback when I saw the Bak Pak skimmer box for the first time. I couldn't figure out how you could get decent surface skimming with a hole below the surface of the water. And I still can't!

Maybe someone with a Bak Pak surface skimming box could comment on its ability to skim the surface. If it doesn't appear to cause any problems then maybe this could prove to be a simple mod. Although, I wouldn't drill a hole in it if you've already got the float switch. The float switch would just make life a lot easier and you could keep your skimmer box intact.

rooshir
02/15/2001, 12:29 AM
Hey guys,
I recently put my Rio back on the Remora Pro because the maxijet 1200 wasn't powerful enough. Anyways after cleaning out the collection cup I realized the Rio had stopped working, but it was stilled plugged in. I took it off and opened it up and looked inside to see if it was clogged. It wasn't but when I plugged back in it started working. Now after I reattached it the skimmer it produces absolutely no skimmate. The foam doesn't even rise to the top, and collection cup is set to the lowest level. Any ideas on what's wrong (aside from the fact that the Rio is sucks)?

dragon0121
02/15/2001, 11:03 AM
Canadian,
Having used the CPR BakPak skimmer box, the holes in the side are not big enough to supply the needed water to the pump. The pump will suck the box dry in no time if water is not entering through the top overflow/cut out. I assume that the holes allow enough water to enter the box that the temp of the powerhead could be kept down, holding off a burn out. I ran mine pseudo-dry a couple times and the pump didn't catastrophically fail. Scary huh? Especially with a RIO! ;)