PDA

View Full Version : how do you move an anemone (transferring tanks)?

cyclgrl
02/20/2003, 08:20 PM
Hi,

I have two anemones: a LTA and a carpet.

I will probably have to move them to a bigger tank in the future. What's the best way to do this without damaging them?

Cindy

kris4647
02/20/2003, 10:53 PM
There isn't a really good way. If any anen is stuck firmly the only real safe way is to try to induce them to move and when they do they aren't ensconced as they are normally, you'll notice the edge of their base will bulge and lose some pigmentation. The bad news is both of yours don't move much. The long tentacle should'nt be much of a problem unless it's base is deeply inserted into a piece of rock, the LT's don't seem to adhere as tightly as some of the others. The carpet is tough I can't think of a really great way to move a healthy carpet, as its surface will be very sticky and if its like mine they usually dig their foot to the floor of the aquarium glass. Use your finger/finger nail and push on the foot until you feel it come loose on a corner and work your way around then pry it up from there. If it's on a rock move the rock and anen.. If it makes you feel better I have damaged an anen's foot and had it do well afterwards....Good Luck

cyclgrl
02/20/2003, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the info.

I'm not planning to do this in the near future, but I want to be prepared.

It's true that my anemones don't move much. That's usually a good thing. :)

What's the method I have heard of using ice?

Cindy

kris4647
02/20/2003, 11:17 PM
That sounds scary. Maybe in an effort to prompt it to move, I don't know. ----------->>Kris

pnosko
02/20/2003, 11:19 PM
Search Dr. Ron's forum. He said using ice to prod an anemone is OK as long as you put the ice in a plastic bag to prevent FW shock to its tissues.