PDA

View Full Version : True Percula Feeding

CarpeNoctem
02/19/2003, 09:37 PM
It has been a few days since I first put the clown in the tank. He seems to be doing well but I don't know if he is eating properly.

I tried both formula one flake food and frozen brine the first day and he didn't touch anything, okay, fine he's scared. Second day I tried frozen brine and he took a couple pieces completely and sampling a lot. (Taking food in his mouth and spitting it out) He didn't seem to eat as much as I thought.

Today, the third day I tried formula one flake only and he samples all the flakes but spits out most of it. Just like the brine.

Is this normal? I was under the impression that true percula's would readily take flake and brine.

Also, is he so vain or is it just me? I often catch him swimming next to the glass and every so often he streamlines himself by flattening all his fins back. He then suspends right there in a 45 degree nose up attitude. Very cool...

-CN

barebottoms
02/19/2003, 10:34 PM
Sounds like s/he is still getting adjusted. Only perc in the tank right? Mine did looked at its reflection forever until I got it a mate. As for feeding, mine wasn't eating the first few days either. On the third day, I picked up some frozen mysis, it went nuts for it it. Then I started to mix up the food after I was sure he was eating.

I find frozen foods seem to be more appetizing to my clowns than dried. Try some frozen formula one or mysis. Then once it starts eating, mix up the diet.

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
02/20/2003, 12:10 AM
my pair swam agaisnt the back wall for 1 week up and down. they would ocasionally nip and spit out the food. I was really worried but then one day they ate everything i put in and the next day they were swimming in and out of the rocks. been with me for a year. they would probably eat until they burst

jacobdol
02/20/2003, 02:05 AM
I have had a pair of false perculas in my tank for three weeks and female still does not eat anything except live or frozen brine shrimp which I only feed them (live) Friday through Sunday. The rest of the week she just takes little pieces of formula1 or flakes and spits them out.