PDA

View Full Version : How often to feed anemones?

minh_han
02/19/2003, 09:02 PM
I have a few small hitchiked anemones on some LR that I just got to start my tank. I fed them with a few fish food pellets this morning, and I was wondering when to feed them next. Is it possible to overfeed an anemone?

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
02/20/2003, 12:05 AM
you probably have majano anemones. They are a pest species that will quikly split and overwhlem anything in your tank. dont feed them anymore and try to figure out what they are. if they are majano remove them immediatly. do you have a pic?

minh_han
02/20/2003, 12:11 AM
I do have some pics of one of the types. It's at http://groups.msn.com/CTAreaReefSociety/mikeminhsandeganstank.msnw?Page=1

But I have three other types that I don't have pictures yet. I'll post them tomorrow hopefully. I'd love to get some ID's.

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
02/20/2003, 12:12 AM
those aren't anemones. they're probably some type of zooanthid

minh_han
02/20/2003, 12:25 AM
Ok, but I DO have at least two anemones, just not the pics for them yet! One, upon further research, I think is a mushroom anemone. The other, I'm not sure about yet. Tomorrow, I'll try to get a pic on the web page.

minh_han
02/20/2003, 05:58 PM
Here are some new pics. They're blurry b/c the things are so small, but if you can tell what they are, please let me know.

http://groups.msn.com/CTAreaReefSociety/mikeminhsandeganstank.msnw?albumlist=2

jacobdol
02/20/2003, 06:35 PM
hard to tell... I think that one of those looks like a little mushroom coral. Although they are often called Disc Anemones -they are Anctinodiscus. I believe they share the same Phylum, Class and Subclass with real anemones. After that they are totally different creatures: Mushroom corals belong to Order - Corallimorpharia
Anemones belong to Order - Actinaria.

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
02/20/2003, 07:55 PM
i only see the one in the blurry pic of the white thing. in all the other pics i dont see anything. sorry i but wouldn't worry so much about it

minh_han
02/21/2003, 12:12 AM
So the original question still remains: How often should one feed anemones? Daily, every other day, weekly, or as much as they can eat? Is it possible to overfeed anemones?

55 Aquatics
02/21/2003, 05:28 AM
I feed mine every 3 days with silversides or fresh shrimp it is HUGE!!!!!! also micr-vert works good too

jacobdol
02/21/2003, 01:05 PM
I feed:
carpet every other day with one teaspoon of small pieces of my own mix.
BTA twice a week, plus I have noticed that sometimes my fish feeds it with chunks of formula 1 or 2.
I have never tried to overfeed an anemone although my guess is that it will refuse the food if it is not hungry
.:hmm2:

RobboT
02/21/2003, 10:04 PM
Haddoni . . . fresh squid . . . 1/2" strip every sunday.

24hrs after feeding it's the size of a dinner plate.

cyclgrl
02/22/2003, 12:03 AM
I think that how often you feed it should be in proportion to how fast you want it to grow. Not that you should deliberately starve it to stunt growth, but the more you feed it, the more it will grow.

That said, my anemones used to be fed the equivalent of 3 krill every 3-4 days. Now that they are both at least 8" across (my LTA in particular is growing beyond his allocated space), I feed them about the same amount once a week (I alternate with scallop or silversides) instead.

Cindy

minh_han
02/22/2003, 04:27 PM
Do y'all buy all this squid, scallop, shrimp, etc to feed your tank at the grocery store? Is there some other way to get seafood to feed the tank?

cyclgrl
02/22/2003, 04:45 PM
I buy the seafood I feed my anemones at the people supermarket (except silversides). When I first bring home a piece of scallop or shrimp, I chop them up into anemone-bitsize pieces and freeze.

Buying the food from the supermarket allows me better control over how much I have on hand.