PDA

View Full Version : Fragging Sarcophyton Elegans (Yellow Sarco)

bmccune
02/19/2003, 09:38 AM
I have a great piece of Yellow Sarco... probably 4-5" across, and I would like to frag it. Can someone tell me the best way to do this? How to properly attach it to it's new home?

I have heard the "slice the pie" theory that says that you should cut a pie-shaped piece out of the head... is this valid?

How about attaching it to a new home? Do I glue it? Use Bridal veil to hold it down somewhere? What part of the frag should I glue to the rock?

TIA!

-Brian

farbeyonddriven77
02/19/2003, 04:26 PM
My Sarcophyton fragments quite often (3or4) times a year. How long have you had it? You can just cut the branches off, as that is how they fragment, they lose their branches. I just use gel super glue and glue the cut end of the frag into a hole in a piece of rubble.

bmccune
02/19/2003, 04:32 PM
My Sarcophyton doesn't have branches...

Here is a picture of what I have:

http://www.reefcorner.com/images/YellowLeather2_small.jpg

I have had it for about a week... polyps fully extended and appears to be doing well.

What part of the clipping do you glue to the rock? Is there a proper orientation to place it on the rock - other than polyps facing upward?

-Brian

farbeyonddriven77
02/19/2003, 05:08 PM
Basically what I consider the branches are any pieces on the outer rim of the disk that protrude away from the center. As far as glueing, that's all I've ever done. I just put the end that has the fresh cut into the rock, as that wil inevitably (sp.) put it in a position that the pollyps are in the right place.

MiNdErAsR
02/19/2003, 06:27 PM
[moved]

bmccune
02/19/2003, 06:36 PM
Any other thoughts on the best way to frag sarco?

How big should the piece be that I cut out of the existing coral?

-Brian

farbeyonddriven77
02/19/2003, 06:41 PM
I've read that you can cut the entire head off of the stalk if it's healthy, but I don't know if I would go that far.