PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing anemone/clownfish tank...

desdemona2
02/19/2003, 03:14 AM
Hi,

I was already to do a CB seahorse tank in my next setup (I am moving in a month). But then while looking for a faux coral for the tank I happened on TR BTA anemones with clowns. So now I am thinking about that. Sorry I can't do both!!

I have been doing all sorts of research on this and figure that the BTA would be the best first anemone (at least clownfish friendly one).

Ironically I have been part of the anemone patrol on wetwebfotos, telling beginners not to keep them. But I am not exactly a beginner anymore, don't know what to call me but i have been doing this for 2 years. Maybe advanced beginner, tadpole, shark or scalliwag?? :-)

My tank is as follows: 40 gal breeder; 144 watts of PC lighting--1/2 actinic; Ecosystems40; AquaC Remora skimmer; 40+ lbs lr; and I will have a 1-1.5 inch sandbed or whatever is left after I move everything. I only have two fishies-- a jawfish who I will have to give up (or he will be eaten) and a Royal Gramma. I am getting a bicolor or midas blenny; and would like a dwarf angel (ie Coral Beauty).
My water perimeters have been good: temp 80; SG 1.024; Amm. , nitrate, nitrite 0; CA 400; alk 3.5. I am adding two parter; and I do weekly 5% water changes (at least most of the time). Everything has been doing pretty well.

I have some questions for you:
1. Do you think that someone with my experience should keep one?
2. Do I have enough light?
3. What do I do about water circulation, do I need a wave maker, and if so what's a good solution preferably under $125, actually preferably less?
Right now I have the return from the Ecosystem (a Rio--yuck--600); a Maxijet1000; and a Cap (another yuk)600 or maybe it's a 900 which I will replace.
4. The clown duos with anemones are black percs which would be too cool, but they told me they may not stick with the anemone in a different bigger setting, so recommend a Clarkii complex clown. I had one in a tank which pretty much killed another fish. Though he had claimed the resident Rhodactis. Trouble is the Rhodactis was a third of the tank in size. Also I think the aforementioned fish can mostly take care of themselves.
5. All my fish ok? I also have nass. and turbo snails; hermits; a cleaner shrimp; a feather duster; and a fighting conch-- all these ok (I know the dwarf angel may harass the feather duster). I also thought of 'shrooms, ricordea, and polyps.
6. What do you do when you go out of town for a week?
7. How often do you feed and what?

Thanks ahead of time,

--des

Dlckwood
02/19/2003, 04:16 AM
1. With 2 years in the trade you have plenty of experiance to keep an anemone.
2. It is plenty of light but the more the better.
3. No you dont need a wave maker but put one or two powerheads in the tank to get more flow.
4. ???
5. Yes everything you have will be ok as long as the angel does not try and eat the anemone.
6. Just put your lights on a timer and try to have a friend come over once or twice and put a little food in your tank for your fish to eat. (If you plan to go on a lot of trips a great thing to have is a auto feeder. You can adjust it to how much it feeds.)
7. I like to feed every 3 days and I feed it formula one and also shrimp from the supermarket.

I hope this helps
DAL:p

desdemona2
02/19/2003, 01:55 PM
1. Isn't that addiction or compulsion? :-)
2. Light is like money I suppose. Hey light *is* money.
3. Any recommendations for a 40 breeder. I already have a Maxijet 1000. I was thinking that I will definitely replace the Cap (it was VERY cheap) with a Maxijet600--900?
4. That should be a question. :-) That question might be are all the clarkii complex clowns so mean? Are all Clarkiis mean? Or was my experience sort of isolated.
5. Oh I hadn't thought of Angels *eating* the anemone. I thought the sting and the clown would sort of deter that. Any fishie recommendations. (Please no chromis. The ones here are very grey and not pretty). How about cleaner shrimp, would they likely get eaten?
6. Well feeding the rest of the tank isn't much of a problem. I have an autofeeder and an autotop off. And I can leave the tank for a week as it is. I'm wondering about feeding the anemone? (this is important as I have to visit my elderly mother once every 3 months. I could be some of your elderly mothers that's the scary thought. :-)) I'm not sure the petsitter is going to like feeding the anemone?!
BTW, do you worry about the anemone dying while you are out of town?
7. I'm thinking of frozen mysis and shrimp from the grocery store along with perhaps some other goodies. I love going to the store and getting 3shrimp, a couple squid, a few scallops. :-)

--des

phdezra
02/25/2003, 11:45 PM
I'll chime in...

1. You can keep one. You have some experience and are smart enough to do research before jumping at the first anemone you saw.
2. Your lighting is just OK, IMHO. I would try to strive for at least 5 watts per gallon. (I know the rule of thumb does not always hold, but...). You are a bit under. These guys need light!!
3. I vote for Red Sea wavemaker with 2 MJs (1200 and 900). It's exactly what I have. The wavemaker may be overkill, so you can do away with it and just get two Maxi-Jets pointing at diff't angles. Remember to not point the pumps directly at any coral/anemone.
4. Clarki or Perc might work.
5. Good fish. Don't add any others if you plan on getting an anemone and a clown.
6. You mean LEAVE your reef tank?! :eek2:
7. Two times per week. Do NOT feed it goldfish or the like. Stick to nutritional stuff. They can be fed small chunks of shrimp, which should be put directly in the center of the anemone, on top of it’s mouth. No bones; can regurgitate it. Also can feed it bits of clams, scallops and non-oily fishes.

Just my $2 (adjusted for inflation). Keep doing research.

Ezra

desdemona2
02/26/2003, 01:59 AM
Thanx for the reply.

1. If I had gotten one due to all the lfs telling me gosh they are easy, I would have roughly 30 (or prolly woulda killed about 30). :-o
2. The general opinion is that the light I have is ok (if barely) that more is better, but that if I have the light I do I will need to feed more often.
3. There's a mix on the wavemaker. I guess they aren't necessary. So maybe a toy for later.
4. It will be the Clarkiis.
5. No no, I am perfectly happy to do a sort of lower bioload (it won't be when feeding the anemone though). Right now I have 2 fish of course this isn't really my choice. Just bad lfs around here.
6. Well yeah I have left my tank before. No one knows what to do with feeding the anemone when I am out of town. Or how often, that sort of thing??
7. Nope no goldfish, guppies, or even silverfish etc. Although I have seen the later. I messed with them with a heliofungia-- it didn't do well but then I think Borneman rates them as a 9 out 10 in difficulty.

--des

phdezra
02/26/2003, 08:36 AM
Just bad lfs around here.

Order from online places such as Premium Aquatics or FFExpress.