PDA

View Full Version : successful mate intro for maroon

sharkdude
02/18/2003, 08:06 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I think I have successfully introduced a male mate to female maroon.

The female has been in the tank about a year (I've had her for almost 1.5 years) and has grown quite a bit and moderately defended her green BTA.

My wife kept buggin' me, "when are we going to get a boyfriend for Beppo?"

I tried to explain that it is soimetimes tricky and maroons are known to be etxra aggressive, but my wife was persistant.

We purchased a 1.5 inch maroon on the darker color side and I put him into a clear brita water pitcher with some bridal veil rubberbanded over top, and then put the pitcher in the tank very near to Beppo and her BTA. We'll, I thought Beppo was going to knock herself silly trying to get through the pitcher. The male was alittle agitated but seemed to be dealing. Beppo kept up the aggression for a day and night but by day two was mostly apathetic. I then removed the bridal veil from the pitcher and let the male maroon swim out at his own pace. He slowly meandered out and was on the other side of the tank before Beppo saw him. Beppo was definately interested but much less aggresive than the day before.

The male quickly found the BTA and was nestling and mouthing it and Beppo was just checking on him ocassionally and much more vigorously chasing other fish from coming near the BTA.

Just thought I'd share my technique so others can try it in their case of lonley female clowns.
:rolleyes:

Dlckwood
02/19/2003, 02:04 AM
Very cool, good luck with the match up.
DAL:p