PDA

View Full Version : Yellow tang disease

flea111
02/10/2001, 05:07 PM
I need some help! We have a 2 year old yellow tang in a 90 gallon show. About three days ago a black spot (~ 2mm diameter) appeared between his eye and dorsal fin. The next day the spot got twice as big and seemed to have a whitish covering on it. Today it is more red than black and even larger, it now is looking like a open wound. We have 2 damsels, 1 cleaner wrasse and a strawberry fish also in the tank, none have shown any problems. The tang does not rub against anything, his eyes are clear, breaths normally and is at a good activity level. He tries to get the cleaner wrasse to "clean" him often, especially the "sore" area. It has been suggested than this is black spot? What does anyone else think?

Thanks
Felicia

billsreef
02/10/2001, 10:28 PM
Black spot or black ick would result in several well defined small spots that would not undergo any of the changes that you mention.

With the whitish covering and change to a redish open sore type look I would suspect a bacterial infection, or a protoazoan such as Uronemia that comonly causes ulcerations in the skin. Since is difficult to know which it is without the use of a microscope I would suggest placing the fish in a hospital tank and treating with a good antibiotic such as nitrofuran or maracynII along with treating for ciliatiated protozoans by use of a daily formalin bath.

flea111
02/13/2001, 12:28 AM
Thanks for your help. The tang has taken an unusual turn. The "sore" or ulcer has actually started healing, it has gotten somewhat smaller and looks better. I have not taken the fish out of the aquarium and started treatment yet (its a 90 gal show, which means I'll end up as wet as the fish by the time I get him out). So now my question is do I remove him and treat (possible added stress) or wait and see if it continues to heal on its own? This is a new area for me any help is appreciated.

Felicia

billsreef
02/13/2001, 06:37 AM
If it is looking better I would leave it be, but watch it very closely. It would also be a very good idea to feed it foods soaked in selcon and get together what you need to in order to set up a hospital tank in the event that things take a turn for the worse, also you can use it as quarantine tank ;) If that sore does not continue to improve or gets any worse than it will be worthwile to use that hospital tank.