PDA

View Full Version : So Happy I could....

ReeferMac
02/13/2003, 04:31 PM
THEY'RE HERE!!!!
I went out for my umpteenth Cigarette break this afternoon, and heard a semi backing into one of the docks...
Opened up the door for the driver to let him into the building:

"Got anything good today?"

Looks over his receipt, says w/ a puzzled look on his face "I dunno, couple of Big-*** Aquariums?"

... And me w/o my depends!

- Mac

PS No, I haven't seen them yet, still in the crate's. I'm just trying to stay out of the warehouse guy's way until I can open one up. Just had to share this w/ someone who'd care!

Stoli
02/13/2003, 04:36 PM
Crossing my legs tightly to control the urge.

ausnakeguy1
02/13/2003, 04:43 PM
I'm taking it one of them is yours, and how big are they? Glass or Acrylic? Drilled or not. GIve us dimensions, pics help too. So we can all drool with you. :) God were such geeks, we have no life.

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/13/2003, 04:48 PM
ill have to get tina to get some extra depends from work for you guys... but youll have to hang out till this weekend for them :)

Defcon
02/13/2003, 04:59 PM
mmmm big tanks....*drools* *thinks of all the stuff that can go in there*

Gary Majchrzak
02/14/2003, 01:34 AM
'Ya know...I was thinking and talking about you two and your big aquariums in work today while this was happening. I kinda figured the semi was making the run from Toronto this afternoon. I also clipped some coupons out of the newspaper for you. Eckerd's has a two 'fer the price of one deal on 'Depends' going on until Friday! :D

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/14/2003, 01:53 AM
you go gary better clip some more cause my 180 is commin home REALLY SOON WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not as nice as them there starphire tanks but at least its all mine :)

ausnakeguy1
02/14/2003, 01:57 AM
Whats a Starphire tank?

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/14/2003, 02:02 AM
Really clear glass.. looks like acrylic in clarity but is glass...

ausnakeguy1
02/14/2003, 02:12 AM
I'm taking it these are extreamly expensive, but extreamly well built tanks. The Rolexes of Fish Tanks? And now how do i get one. :) Are they stronger than regular glass, and are they clearer than acrylic?

ReeferMac
02/14/2003, 08:08 AM
To answer the questions:
Tanks are 230 Gallon, 6'x2'x30-inches tall, 3 panels starphire (front, and two sides), EuroBraced (Glass Perimeter bracing). Ordered them from InterAmerican up in Calgary, Canada. Cost for each tank was $1,000.00 USD, shipping was... expensive to NY. I got a deal by shipping it on one of my employer's carriers however, and we saved a bundle.

I popped a couple of the boards off to get a look at mine.. Man, that's thick glass! Couldn't see too much, as I didn't want to disassemble the crates. They should be delivered Saturday morning to our homes. I plan on un-crating mine post-haste, as I'm anxious to get a look at it and take my measurements for the stand. My Saturday is pretty much booked, but anyone wanting to get a look at it (Ahem, {cough}*Zoo Crew*{/cough}), should stop by on Sunday from 12-4 during the loaf-party. PM or eMail for directions.

- Mac

ReeferMac
02/14/2003, 08:09 AM
Gaahh.. click-happy too apparently..

- mac

Stoli
02/14/2003, 10:22 AM
For those who can't make it Sunday to Kevin's place, when the tank is delivered to my house, I'll post on the board here. If anyone wants to stop by and take a look, feel free.

Gary Majchrzak
02/14/2003, 10:24 AM
Thanks for offering the viewing, guys!:D

ausnakeguy1
02/14/2003, 12:45 PM
Euro Bracing, what do you mean by it has a glass perimeter bracing. it doesn' have the main brace in the center. Is the Euro Bracing better than the Bracing in the Center?

Stoli
02/14/2003, 02:11 PM
Aus:

I'm the other guy who's getting the tank. Eurobracing has positives and negatives. On the positive side, if you don't use a canopy, it looks nicer (IMO). Also, you don't have to worry about center braces blocking light or becoming heat damaged (as has happened with some AGA tanks and 400 W Halides).

On the negative side (and the one I'm a bit concerned about), accessibility can be an issue. Cleaning the glass without a tool can be problematic (although magnets work well) and access to overflows and the like can be difficult. Overall, I went with Eurobracing because my current AGA uses a center brace and I feel it gets in the way. I'll let you know after the new tank is up and running for a few months which I prefer.

ausnakeguy1
02/14/2003, 04:10 PM
Yes please do, I would have though you would have put the MH"s in an AGA tank inbetween the bracings where you only have water. Like on a 75, you would have two, on a 125 you would have three and spaced inbetween the bracings, and why use so much Wattage, woudln't 3x175 work just as well or 3x250 even. Is there a reason for using so much wattage. I know you need the certain amount of light per gallon, but I can't imagine using 400w bulbs on something like a 75 or even a 125. As I'm very new to MH's these are just questions not comments or sayings that your wrong. Just trying to learn about them.

Stoli
02/14/2003, 05:28 PM
On my 90Gallon AGA, I've got 2x250w MH and 2 48" VHOs. Seems to grow corals nicely. The new tank is nearly 3 times the size and I'm just adding two additional 400W halides. On a Watt's per gallon (which supposedly is not the best measure, use PAR or lumens), is a reasonable lighting system.

ausnakeguy1
02/14/2003, 05:47 PM
What is a good measure of Par/Lumens per gallon. What do you want. I know I have 5.12 W per gallon of PC lighting. Seems to do fine, is bright as hell thats for sure. :)

MarksReef
02/14/2003, 05:56 PM
why use so much Wattage, woudln't 3x175 work just as well or 3x250 even. Is there a reason for using so much wattage.
Here is some good reading that came up last week on the same subject
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149568

ausnakeguy1
02/14/2003, 06:22 PM
Wow, thanks I just read it, alot of it is over my head so I asked them to explain some of the differences. About all I know is E Ballasts rule. LOL>