PDA

View Full Version : Help What is This?

Rebeccainvt
02/13/2003, 11:30 AM
I posted a while back ago about my mystery bristle worms and got mixed responses. The majority of folks felt that the worms that were detrimental to the tank were rare. Well everything has been going smooth in our tank lately and yesterday I noticed one of our scarlet crabs died or was killed I don't know which. The body of the crab was next to it's shells and about 3 bristle worms appeared to be feeding on it. This is natural and I understand that, but I was able to capture one and take a picture with my son's microscope. It's magnified of course the worm was about 1 inch long. Should these fellas be left alone to do thier job as the clean up crew or will they feast on my other LIVE animals and need to be gotten rid of. Thanks so much any feedback would be appreciated. I attached a pic of the worm hope it's ok.

Rebecca and Randy

:fish1: :fish2:

Rebeccainvt
02/14/2003, 11:24 PM
I was hoping to find some replies and no one has replied, but almost 30 people have viewed my post. Will no one help a damsel in distress? I need to know if this creature is good, bad, or just ugly.

Thanks in advance,

Rebecca:thumbsup:

rsilva708
02/14/2003, 11:28 PM
I had a worm like this in my tank, but before I could get concerned about it, one of my fish ate it. I don't know what it was, but I never saw any more.

jeromieg
02/14/2003, 11:28 PM
I am fairly new to the hobby, but it looks like a well fed bristleworm. If it is, people are about 50/50 with them. Some love them and keep them in the tank. Others try to trap them out of their tanks. Maybe someone else can give a definitive answer.

Hope it helped.

dwarfatize
02/14/2003, 11:33 PM
That is a bristle worm.

REEFLIFE
02/14/2003, 11:41 PM
I have several 1 inch worms that look just like this. I have not had any problems yet. Sometimes even "reef safe" stuff can do harm. I would watch him and see if anything else goes wrong or if you are just unsure take him out as well as any others you find. I'm sorry but I can't help. May want to post it to Dr. Ron.