PDA

View Full Version : good or bad idea for refugium

COWabonga
02/13/2003, 02:59 AM
i was just planning to do just a 10 gallon refugium. I was wondering if i can use a powerhead to bring the water to the refugium and anothe powerhead to bring the water back up. The two powerheads will be identical....is this a bad idea>?. Which powerheads do you recommend me use for this idea. How fast of a flow. My tank is a 72 gallon with no sump. Would i be able to put the heater in the refugium? Would the flow be strong enough for it to heat the main tank? Thanks

lllosingit
02/13/2003, 03:00 AM
Bad Idea the pump that is pumping water up will not be able to keep up with a pump that going with gravity

lllosingit
02/13/2003, 03:02 AM
you can drill the ten gallon and then have it set up higher than the 70 and use a power head to pump water to the 10 and let gravity bring it back down

s13silvia
02/13/2003, 03:49 AM
yea for the most part power heads are not that strong to move water up around 4-5' and at that height the gph rating is going to be too slow to keep up with the powerhead pumping water into the fuge. does your tank have a overflow or will you be using a HOB overflow?

kennerd
02/13/2003, 04:55 PM
I'm planning a similar setup, and just plan to get a crappy brand new 10 or 12 gal, have two bulkheads drilled into it: once screened overflow down to the sump, and the other a spraybar inlet from either a pump in the sump, or getting a larger return for the sump and a split return to the main tank and then to the fuge with ball valves to back off flow to the fuge.