PDA

View Full Version : Clown Goby Trouble!!!

George_N_Jo
02/12/2003, 08:28 PM
We were just wondering if anyone else out there has ever had trouble with black clown gobies? They seem to be eating the polyps off the acros. Does anyone out there know how to catch these guys without having to take the reef apart? If anyone has any suggestions please let us know.

Thanks!!!

Mr Neutron
02/12/2003, 10:26 PM
I have a pair of yellow clown gobies and at first they nibbled polyps until I spot fed them several times a day. Even when they nibbled it didn't do much harm, tho. Catching? I have no idea...they aren't the fastest swimmers so maybe a couple nets would work.

George_N_Jo
02/15/2003, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what we are going to do. They are actually doing damage, b/c there are so... many of them. They are tag teaming the corals. :( Thanks again for your help.

Sir Knight
02/15/2003, 01:09 PM
Hi George and Jo,
I have heard of this problem with gobies but I have not experienced it personally.

If they are eating your corals and it was me, I would do the 2 to 4 hours of work and remove the corals and rock and get them out of there.

Since you do have another tank just move the corals to that tank and after you get the gobies out put the live rock back in the tank and let it sit for a day or so to make sure the tank is stable.

If the tank is stable after a day or so you should be ok to put the corals back in the tank.

I had to do this one time because of a angel fish. I just moved the corals to a holding tank and put the live rock in a couple of 32 gallon garbage cans. After I removed the fish I put the Live rock back in the tank waited until the water cleared and put the corals back in the tank. When I did this I did not lose any of my corals.

I guess you have to weigh the time vs. coral loss. With me it’s hands down I do the work to save the corals

Hope this helps
Joe W.