PDA

View Full Version : The Shark Reef... anyone been?

Gordo
02/10/2003, 06:05 PM
I'm thinking of taking a drive over to The Shark reef, but wanted to see if anyone had been there lately before I make the 1+ drive. Do they have a good selection of corals? I'm looking for both hard and soft.

~Gordo~

BlennyBabe
02/12/2003, 08:29 PM
I live in Gig Harbor so its not quite as far away. I went there and there wasnt much I was impressed with. If you go to their website, you can get some info and you can get on their mailing list. They are pretty friendly. I get an updated stock list every few days. Heres what they had on the 11th

New-In stock Today:
1-Green Bird Wrasse -ML
4-Diamond Goby -L
1-Keyhole Angel -M
3-Tricolor Anthias -M
1-Naso Tang -S
1-Zebra Moray Eel -Tiny
5-Cleaner Wrasse
1-Purple Wrasse
1-Red Coris Wrasse -juv
1-Yellow Watchman Goby
3-Sixline Wrasse
2-L.T. Anemone -M/L
5-Percula Clown -L
5-Scooter Blenny
2-Feather Starfish
4-Chocochip Starfish
2-Cleaner Shrimp -S
3-Anemone Crab -L
20-Blue Damsel
5-Neon Damsel
2-Sand Starfish

New-In Stock Tomorrow:
1-Super Orange Tube Anemone -L
3 Boxes Fiji Live Rock
1-Red Grape Caleurpa
3-Red Fromia Starfish
1-Round Green Brain
1-Alveopora (Daisy Coral)
1-Colored Bubble Anemone -L
2-Flowerpot Coral: Green
1-Red Scooter Bleny
1-Horn Shark

There was only one employee there when I went and he was pretty knowlegable.

I dont like that they cary sharks, as I am in the reef business and I dont know of anyone who has a tank big enough fro them. they do have lots of corals, but they didnt impress me with their quality. they looked crappy to put it frankly. But I cant make the decision for you. The also have their show tank, not sure what size,maybe a 180 or less with 9 tangs in it. along with tons of corals and about a 50 other fish. Im not kidding, i was amazed. There must be a huge bioload! It was pretty to look at but I cant immagine that it is very healthy.

If you do come out this direction, you should stop by at Pets and Pals in Gig Harbor. we have a small saltwater section and if you come on a weekend we will have gotten our shipment that friday (usually). There is also a new store in tacoma that I havent been to yet. Its called Indoor Reef and its on 6th ave and Proctor. If you are going to come out, why not make a day of it.

Hope this helps.

The_Equalizer
02/17/2003, 02:08 AM
I visit the shark reef once a week. Mostly to browse and the RO water is free. Eric is the owners name, he ordered my entire set up. If you go on a sunday Jeff is the other person that works there. Both are friendly. I find myself going just to visit as well. I would deffinatly reccommend the shark reef. Its worth an hour drive. His set up is pretty good if you want to check out his store there are some pics at www.thesharkreef.net