PDA

View Full Version : Dsb

halmast
02/09/2003, 05:58 PM
I have a 125 Gallon AGA tank with 300 pounds of Southdown sand. The tank contains 130 pounds of Tonga LR.

The return to the tank is from an Iwaki MD40RLT (about 700 gallons per hour). I have both returns pointed to the top middle of the tank. I have a Maxijet 900 on both the front and back of the tank pointed along the top and entire length of the tank.

This is my question.

The DSB is uneven. Due to the currents the DSB is about 2 1/2-3 inches in the front middle of the tank with other areas looking more like a sand dune with varying heights up to 5 or 6 inches depending on the location within the tank. Is this OK?

Russ
02/10/2003, 12:10 PM
Yes. I too have shallow areas and deeper areas caused by the currents that have shaped the surface of the DSB. It's no big deal.

antfarm2000
02/10/2003, 02:16 PM
I end up with the same problem....3 engineer gobies digging around, and a HUGE hermit crab walking all over the place.

If it gets down to the bare glass, you might wanna adjust the pumps, or just move the sand around a little bit to fill it up.

DgenR8
02/11/2003, 10:23 PM
My clowns will not tolerate a flat DSB. I have hills and valleys, and that's just how my clowns like to keep it.
I wouldn't let it get you down.
If you do get down to bare glass in spots, then I would say there is a need to change something.