PDA

View Full Version : Carnation Coral know how

FirstAveKid
02/07/2003, 12:29 AM
Just purchased a carnation on 2/2 A real nice pink in color.
Looks healthy, would like it to stay that way. feeding phytoplanton when its out.....pls. any sugg on how to keep this alive impluse buy, store lied to me...

:smokin:

bjohnson
02/07/2003, 05:26 AM
There is a very nice store in San Leandro CA that has some very nice display tanks. One of their tanks has some carnations that are doing well. I had bad luck with one and the owner/caretaker said to:

1) carnations should be attached upside down because that is how they occur in nature.
2) because they are found upside down (in caves and overhangs) lots of light directly on them are probably not the best idea.
3) most importantly he says he is "successful" keeping them around 76-77.

He did tell me if you try this you only have about a 20-30% chance of making it.

Nagel
02/07/2003, 09:49 AM
Carnations can be tough (aka dendronephthya sp?). The require feeding are NOT photosynthetic and would not be recommended for any beginner, even some experts refuse to try 'em cause they are that difficult.

Unless you want to try and provide their optimum environment, leave 'em in nature where they belong :)

I'm moving this thread to the main forum, you should get more responses there, not to mention, carnation corals aren't zooanthids :)