PDA

View Full Version : Remora Pro Question

eifert
02/05/2003, 10:33 PM
Guys and Ladies:

I just got my Remora Pro and it works great! It makes a soft jet sound all the time, but it works like a dream. (The noise is soft, but judging from the results, its working so much better than my Berlin Turbo. I don't know what happened to that thing. Just blows micro bubbles. Its just sitting in the water now. Maybe the pump?)

The question I have is this:

I bought the Bubble eliminator box/Skimmer (it sits in the tank- its black) for the Remora. I decided to put in a bag of Macro Algae from Dr. Mac. (Dr. Mac did a great job sending it and some coral on time and healthy)

My question is, is this a good idea? There is plenty of light going into the box. Is this enough algae to take care of nusance algae? (When it's floating in there it just about fills the box.) Will the Macro be OK in the box? Will it grow out? I have it weighed down a little with a small piece of rock (so it doesn't float out and become lunch for the tangs.)

I did have high phosphate but I took care of it after a big algae outbreak (green turfy-type algae, I guess)

I have a 120 with 4 60-watt Smartlite Compacts lighting my tank. Hardy corals - mushrooms, a finger leather and button polyps. I recently started adding coral. The tank has been running with just fish for 3 years. There's a DSB and lots of live rock (how much, I have no idea!)

It's a reef tank with 7 fish (that includes 3 small Dwarf Lions).

:confused:

Kutter
02/06/2003, 12:02 PM
I don't think the Preskimmer box is really designed to grow macroalgae in it. I occassionally throw a bag of carbon into mine, but that's about.

You could try the macro in it, but if they don't do well and start dying off, then all the nutrients from the macro's will be released into you tank.

If you want to grow macros, your best best is to set up a proper refugium. If you have the space you could do a freestanding on that drains by gravity back into the tank. If you are tight on space, you could go with some like a CPR Aquafuge which hangs on the back of the tank.