PDA

View Full Version : Phosphates are killing me!!!!HELP PLEASE

mswt5
02/05/2003, 10:45 AM
well....not me....the tank
I cant get rid of them. I cant get water that doesnt have them. I dont know what to do. I think my main problem is the water im using. Ive been using Glacier water(one of those RO drinking water machines at the grocery store). I didnt really know anywhere else to get water so I hadnt really done any test on it. So before I did my last water change I test the water right before I added it to the tank. It had a phosphate reading of about .2. If your trying to remove phophates, a water change with phosphates already in it doesnt do much good. So now Im stuck. I dont know where else to get my water. I was already paying 30 cents a gallon. I would rather use distilled but that 80 cents a gallon. OH...sorry....the tank is only a 10 gal so I dont go through that much water. Any suggestions?

cj7jeep81
02/05/2003, 10:58 AM
You might want to look into getting a small RO/DI unit. The upfront cost is a lot more, but you would have much better results.

Addicted Reefer
02/05/2003, 11:04 AM
mswt5,

I would go to the store and buy a gallon of all the bottled waters and test them which ever one has no readable phosphate is your winner. I know i am being the king of the obvious but it works. The gallons are like you said 80 cents and the phosphate remover is way more than that if it even works. My buddy used a grocery store r/o for months with no problems so it might just need some work.

Have you asked the store when the last time they changed the membranes? You might want to tell them that there is readable phosphates in the water. Considering how much water they make and how many polutants they see it may be a good idea if they listen.

Good luck

jeremism30
02/05/2003, 02:21 PM
Try testing arrowhead. Arrowhead in my area is about .05.

I too had problems due to bad water in the area, I finally install a refugium and everything is much better now.

DgenR8
02/08/2003, 12:20 PM
I fully understand the cost factor associated with buying an RO/DI unit, but if you're staying in the hobby, it's the cheaper in the long run to purify your own water, and you KNOW when the last membrane change was, you don't have to carry buckets of water home from the store, and when the time comes that you NEED to do a water change NOW, you will be able to have it on hand!
I know that at $.30 a gallon, it will be a long while before you recoup your expense, but IMHO, there's no other way to go.
Stop in at www.AquaticReefSystems.com see what they have to meet your needs, and how much it will cost.
You can always start with just an RO unit, and add the DI later. This approach will give you better water than what you're buying now, and saves a few bucks upfront.
I have also read good things about AirWaterIce.com, but have no personal experience with them to relate.