PDA

View Full Version : Plans For Sump Help

rmk101tim
02/03/2003, 09:47 PM
Hello everybody! I recently set up a 55 gallon reef tank in my bedroom. Although I did not plan on having a reefegium, my pirana which I had kept in a ten gallon tank, recently died, and I see this as an oppurtunity to do something that I hadnt origionally planned. So far, I have the top for it, as well as some gravel that I had in the piranha tank. I am wondering, however, how I will go about pumping the water to and from the sump. The water would need to travel about 4-6 feet to get to the tank, and another 4-6 feet getting back to it. I am looking for the most economical way to do this: I have virtually no money left. I was wondering if there is any way I can start a siphon from the large tank to the small and get it to flow back via a pump? Is there anyway to use a simple air pump to draw the water back to the aquarium like an undergravel filter does? I am looking for any and all suggestions. If someone could submit an idea, it would be greatly appreciated. Please note that this 10 gallon tank is the only thing I can use for this reefegium, so I am looking at small scale/economical as opposed to large scale. Any suggestions of exact models of pumps and their prices would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!