PDA

View Full Version : What should the CA and Alk. levels be when I add B-Ionic?

Brett
02/03/2001, 10:50 PM
After I got a salifort test kit a few weeks ago and discovered my CA level was terribly low (~230ppm) I decided that water changes alone wasn't cutting it for me and I'd have to start dosing B-Ionic. Over a period of about 2 weeks I got my CA level up to 450ppm and my Alk up to 3.5meq/l and worked out my B-Ionic dose to keep these levels. I've only been at these levels for a few days now, and when I was adding the B-Ionic tonight I noticed that the alkalinity component was taking quite a while to totally dissolve. It then occured to me that I'm taking my measurements right before I add the B-Ionic, so 450ppm CA and 3.5meq/l are the lowest they get, and when I add the B-Ionic I'm probably flirting with precipitation. Should I try to skip dosing for a day and let the levels get down to around 3meq/l and 430ppm, so the highs are around 3.5meq/l and 450ppm?

Thanks,
Brett

rfiller
02/04/2001, 01:25 AM
I never thought of that. I use B-ionic too. but... if the chemical reactions in the water work like they do when using the powdered alk products then it takes about an hour to fully enter the system if i understand correctly. My logic could be wrong but in some powdered products it says to wait an hour to test for alk after adding the buffer.

Also, i think it would depend on how much B-ionic you add to your system. I think the bottle says how much each ounce will raise the alkalinity per liter or gallon.

I kinda wish I paid more attention in chemestry class in high school.

rich

smpolyp
02/04/2001, 10:24 PM
Test a hour after you dose. This way you can find out what your tanks saturation level is. If your cal/alk gose higher than the 3.5 alk and 450 cal than you can keep your dosing the same. If it stays the same you have reached your tanks saturation point and wait till you see it drop before you dose again.

MIKE
02/04/2001, 11:45 PM
Hi Brett,

And don't forget to get those decent test kits so the readings you do get are semi-accurate! :)