PDA

View Full Version : Test Kits

GarSrtn
01/29/2003, 07:41 PM
Greets,

I was just wondering if these two kits would be good to purchase, and if they would cover the bases?

1. Salifert Reef Package - includes Calcium, KH/Alk, Iodine, Strontium, and Magnesium
2. Salifert Nitrogen Cycle Package - includes Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH

TIA

griss
01/29/2003, 07:50 PM
Yes, Saliferts are relatively inexpensive and some of the best on the market IMO.

Griss

DgenR8
01/29/2003, 09:36 PM
If you do a search on Salifert, you'll find that there are countless happy Salifert customers. They are by far, the most recommended line of aquarium test kits here at RC.

Russ
01/30/2003, 12:24 PM
FWIW, you might want to think about going with a cheaper test kit for the "Nitrogen Cycle Package." After the cycle is done, you almost never need to test for any of those things except pH. Consider getting a pinpoint pH meter, since those chemical test pH kits are all nearly impossible to read with any real accuracy, IMHO.

I agree, Salifert's makes excellent test kits... especially for Alk and Ca.

GarSrtn
02/06/2003, 12:23 AM
Would the Reef Package be a good choice? Is it necessary to test for Iodine, Strontium, and Magnesium? I'm thinking I might be better off just getting the Salifert Ca and Alk kits...

Btw, took your advice and ordered a pH meter.

nvrmore
02/06/2003, 12:46 AM
I don't believe you need to test for strotium and magnesium and as far and iodine I know some ppl do but it also don't seem to be an overly popular test. I am just gettin back into the hobby after a short leave of absence ;) ( I moved) so things might have changed.

Russ
02/06/2003, 09:58 AM
"I'm thinking I might be better off just getting the Salifert Ca and Alk kits..."

That's what I would do. Alk and Ca are the only things I test for regularly now. Although, I did test for phosphates during a hair algae problem a while back. And, of course, I tested for ammonia and nitrate during my cycle (I never got around to getting a nitrite test)... Haven't tested for ammonia and nitrate since cycle completion.

"Is it necessary to test for Iodine, Strontium, and Magnesium?" IMHO, if you're not supplementing these, then you really don't need to test for them. Doing periodic water changes will maintain proper levels of these substances.

The general rule is: If you're supplement something, then you should be testing for it (before you supplement)... Which is why testing for Alk and Ca is so important!

The only thing I supplement that I haven't tested for yet is iron... (Yes, I feel guilty for it!) Then again, I only dose 1/2 the recommended amount and am religious about my water changes... so, I'm not too worried about it yet.