PDA

View Full Version : Problems with homemade buffer???

ravenmore
01/29/2003, 11:23 AM
Ok - followed the instructions of using 6 parts baking soda & 1 part washing soda.

Instructions indicated that 1 heaping teaspoon per 25 gallons of water would render a solution with a ph of 8.0. I took a little of my homemade buffer and mixed it with tap water in a glass and got a ph that was more like 9.0. Now, I probably created a solution that had a much higher concentration of buffer to water - would that cause the higher ph? Or is the 6 to 1 ratio designed to buffer RO water (much lower initial ph than tap water)?

Also, do I dose the powder directly into the tank or "premix" it with top off water first?????

Thanks,
-Mike

3_high_low
01/29/2003, 11:43 AM
Hi Mike,

It's probably because the tap water has dissolved stuff in it that kept the pH high. As far as how to add the buffer to the water goes, Kent recommends dissolving their buffer in fresh water before adding it to the tank. I bet it doesn't dissolve well if you just add the powder to the salty tank.

kevinpo
01/29/2003, 12:16 PM
I add this mixture every other day like this.....I put 6 soup spoons of baking soda and 1 of washing soda in a 2 quart pitcher and fill with water, stir briskly, and let set 10 min. makes about 8 servings ....err I mean cups :D

The PH will vary depending on the PH of the water you mix it with so there is no way to determine the final PH for every user in advance. Also the washing soda is used to raise the tank PH so if you want the PH in your tank to rise to 8.2 or so you need the higher PH. If your PH is already where you want it cut down on the washing soda (this may take a little experimenting as every system is a little different depending on what other additives and equipment you are using, like Kalk, calcium reactor etc.)

IMO it's best to test the tank water PH frequently until you get the dosage right. Just remember to test it at/near the same time each day as it fluctuates during the day.

HTH,
Kevin