PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and 150g FOWLR

bdemyan
01/27/2003, 04:21 PM
I've read through alot of articles but was wondering what kind of lighting I need for my new 150g 28"high FOWLR tank. Some threads say Flor.NO are fine but how many would I need.

Should I go for a different solution?

I don't intend on going into reef madness any time soon. I just want to keep some SW fish and have Liverock with interesting critters on it.

Thanks alot this forum is a great resource:)

smcnutt
01/27/2003, 04:49 PM
I've had my 130g FOWLR setup for over a year with two 36" Flor. NO lights without a problem. I did buy the 10k bulbs over the std. everyday bulbs that came with the tank when I bought it used.

That said, I am working on upgrading the NO lights with two VHO's to get a little bit more light. Since it's been over a year and it's time to replace the bulbs anyway, I thought now was as good as any to make the switch. I'm getting the Fulham Workhorse 7 ballast to drive both of them and it's only $32 so I figured why not. I have nice coraline growth but the macro alge isn't going real strong but I just thought I would like it a little brighter.

From what I've read, it's just personal preference in a FOWLR but I guess I'm saying if I was building from scratch I would have done VHO but the NO worked for the first year.