PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom Boy and

Zack S
01/25/2003, 01:31 PM
Anyone else who has tanks with the top split in 2. The acrylic tanks I believe. I was wondering to slow down evaporation if it is a good idea to put a piece of plastic there? Is that a good idea?

Zack S
01/25/2003, 04:15 PM
here is what I mean with the 2 openings

Mushroom Boy
01/26/2003, 02:42 AM
I personally wouldn't do it. The openings allow for good gas exchange, plus putting an acrylic shield up there will hinder the light penetration into the water. HTH.

Paul.

David_Winther
01/27/2003, 12:33 AM
I have a tank like that, it came with covers to put over the openings. My sump is open. I think that I get all the gas exchange that I need with the sump/skimmer. The covers help slow down evaporation and protect my lighting. They also serve to keep the things in the tank IN the tank. No wayward snails or flying fish this way. I clean them often so they don't have a chance to hinder the light penetration into the tank. I would keep them on.

HTH,

-Dave
:D

shaunmcm
01/27/2003, 04:31 PM
plus, it'll keep your fan from falling in the tank and shockin' the living heck out of your live stock ! ha ! :p

Zack S
01/27/2003, 06:51 PM
LOL:p

David_Winther
01/27/2003, 09:00 PM
LOL! Ya, that and the digital camera....don't ask.
:eek2:

-Dave

Zack S
01/28/2003, 12:59 AM
oh please do tell!:D

kevinpo
01/28/2003, 10:24 AM
Hi Zack,
You will need the evaporation to keep the tank cool. If you are not having a problem with heat now try some covers but be sure to watch your temperature. As evaporation rate slows the heating increases. If you have a sump you can mount the fan blowing across the sump to achieve the same effect and still use the covers but if your only reason for the covers is slowing evaporation rate them keep a close eye on the tank temperature.

HTH,
Kevin
PS: With a 400W bulb you have plenty of punching power to go through the covers. You will have to keep them clean though. Just wipe them every week or two.