PDA

View Full Version : Sad Update (Sorry!)

Kate
06/11/2000, 04:15 PM
Have been here in TN for one week; still attempting to find an apartment and have had no luck in setting up my reef where I am living. Lost the fish and corals, as I said earlier, and now it seems I MAY loose my LR, but I keep hoping and praying. At least it can serve as base for new LR and may recover when I fortunate enough to find an apartment.

Will keep you all updated!! Keep Smiling! Reefs Are Beautiful!!

jimhobbs
06/11/2000, 04:43 PM
Hi Kate! :)
I'm close, within a few hours...If I can be of help, please e-mail and I'll see what I can do...We'll get you setup yet! :)

Keep the faith!...jim

Kate
06/11/2000, 04:58 PM
Hi Jim!

Thanks for the wonderful offer!! (I may just take you up on that!) Realistically it will probably be the 1st of the month before I get into a place; I am planning on setting up my tank immediately(then) and adding the cycled water I have, all of my rock, turning on my lights, skimmer, and PHs, and then adding more RO and salt.

I think the worst that can happen is that I may have to replace about 50#s of LR (along with all of my fish and corals), but I have started before - I can re-start, and with ALOT of knowledge I have gained on this board!!

I'll let you know!! THANKS!!!!!

Mermaid
06/11/2000, 05:03 PM
Kate,

What do you mean when you say replace your LR? What do you mean to do with the LR that you are assuming will be DR? I would recommend putting in in 5 gallon buckets at least, covered with saltwater, or find some closeby reefer to help out. LR comes from the reefs, so considering replacing it, as far as the literal meaning of replace goes, is horrific. It is something alive too, and should be treated with respect. Even if you have to give it away, if you do not plan to use it as rock in your future tank, please do the humane thing and either save it yourself, or donate it. I am sure someone would foot the shipping or come pick it up.

Kate
06/11/2000, 05:12 PM
Oh, Mermaid!! No, no, no ...... I was not clear apparently. My LR is presently in a container and covered with cycled water from my tank.

I am afraid, due to lack of any circulation, etc., and the time before I am able to reset up that the LR organisms will die. But, I am keeping it under water and I have every intention of using it as soon as I can re-setup.

I am NEW to this area - I know of no other reefers in the immediate area so I shall just have to provide as best I can.

jimhobbs
06/11/2000, 05:21 PM
Get an airstone for the buckets...This is pretty simple to do, and will help keep the O2 levels up...Where are the buckets?...I hope their not in the heat :)

Best regards...jim

Kate
06/11/2000, 05:28 PM
Jim, I have all of my rock in a 20G Rubbermaid container - in the garage (only safe area!!); it is not too hot there, this is the top of the Appalachians. I'll get something set up tomorrow for sure!! Thanks! Good idea!

jimhobbs
06/11/2000, 05:30 PM
Also, if they've been there a few days, I'd suggest a water change to get rid of any by products of the extended stay in the buckets...Then the airstone will have greater chance to perform CPR on your rock :)

best regards...jim

Doug1
06/11/2000, 11:46 PM
Kate after al the trials and tribulations you've been through recently, dont give up yet. There is always someone willing to help salvage your reef and your life. I admire your courage to do what you have to do and wish you the best. You are now part of a big extended family so let those who can help then return the favor when you're able. It will all work out in time, best wishes ,

------------------
Reef as though your life depended on it, yours might but the sea's does.........Doug ReefTank administrator

CleveYank
06/12/2000, 12:27 AM
The Buckets thing is a good idea but maybe one garbage can from Wal-mart and powerhead with an adjustable venturi would handle the oxigination and water circulation issues and basically you would have a whirlpool effect.
This will also remain as consistant of temperature as possible under the circumstances and would most likely hold it's Ph a little easier too.
Alot of little buckets will result in lots and lots of differences and more airline and possible need for more pumps to keep the stuff from dying.
Good Luck