PDA

View Full Version : new to coral keeping questions

eric21
01/24/2003, 11:26 AM
I am new to the reef world. Currently i have a 20 gal long tank that has been set up as a fish and liverock system for over a year. I would like to try my hand at keeping a few corals. The tank currently has 25 lbs of live rock 12 lbs aragonite sand. It is filtered by a seaclone skimmer, a regent power filter and i have a sump with bioballs, capacity for more live rock, and a small refugium that i can use. Lighting is a 4 x 20 watt n.o. flourescent setup. What coral can be reccommended for this setup and any ideas on lights and supplements would be greatly beneficial.

god_of_wolves
01/24/2003, 12:04 PM
OK, this is just my opinion, but here goes.

I currently also have a 20 gallon Long reef with a 10 gallon Sump.
So I know what your setup is like.

12 lbs of sand is not alot for that tank, you probably have about 1 inch deep? If you want to got the route of a DSB, add about another 40 lbs.

Next, you could add more rock if you like... depending on what type of rock you have, 1 3/4 - 2 lbs per gallon is a nice number...

Now, as far as equipment goes, some people will say your lights are fine, But I would go with two 55 watt 24 inch PC's, you can get a retro kit from hello lights for $119 (http://www.hellolights.com/2x55wretrofit.html) I have this, and it works great. And my soft corals really like it. (1) 03 actinic, and (1) 10K bulb.

Next, your skimmer.
As I'm sure your well aware, your skimmer is not the best. If you think it is working, then OK, but a better one would be an AquaC, remora, or urchin if you want it in your sump.

Your filter can go, and your bio balls HAVE TO GO. They are Nitrate traps, remove a couple a week until they are gone.

A refugium is a great Idea.

Next, for corals, that's more a matte of preference.

An easy starter coral is a Colt coral, or pulsating xenia, I started with those, and they grew like weeds. I actually got to frag them a few times for money at the LFS. (every bit helps).

Well, I'll stop rambling, and let someone else throw you some ideas.

DgenR8
01/24/2003, 01:46 PM
Hi Eric,
[welcome]
I agree, you'd be better off without the Bio Balls, and if you can replace them with live rock, all the better.
Your tank is too small for an effective DSB, save the space, and stick with what you have for substrate.
Xenia is wierd, for some it grows out of control, for others, it lives, but doesn't seem to grow or spread, for some, it dies and fouls their tank :(
I don't recommend it to people that are really new, as you might not notice it declining in time. Colts, leathers, star polyps, and mushrooms are all good places to start getting your feet wet with your lighting.

eric21
01/25/2003, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info, it does however bring up more questions. What should the refugium have stocked in it to a a efficent form of filtration and how should it be plumbed into the system. Can I just slowly replace the bioballs with liverock and will the rock be functional under the triclking water or does it need to be submerged.
If I keep the lighting that I have (which I will have to do for atlest a few more months) what bulbs would be best for my use. The bulbs in the fixture right now are only suited to freshwater plant needs. I know about needing blue shifted light but what about 10k, 20k, trichromatic, and actinic. I would like to have a mixture that is pleasing to the eye but even moreso what the coral needs. And last but not least, what about supplements for calcium,iodine,strontium and minerals of such that the coral need to survive.