PDA

View Full Version : Basic Qustions

Sneak
01/24/2003, 05:51 AM
I have a 20gal s/w with about 20lbs of LR, 2" of CC, and a Cimmion Clown, and a 4 stripe dansal.

My filtration is 1 marineland 660 powerhead (with a undergravel filter) a CPR backpack Cylclone w/bio filtarion skimmer, and a biowheel powerfilter.

I was told today to get anohter powerhead is that needed if yes should I get a spounge type or hook another one up to my undergravel?

Is having a undergravel filter on a salt ok?

My lighting is a modifed hood to fit 2 floresant bulbs, one is a Actinic, and the other is a standerd bulb, for a repacment od the standerd bulb.

Should I get a 10,000k or a 20,000k as a replacement for the standerd?

With this tank I plan to add about 10-15 maybe 20 more lbs of LR, some Soft Corals (maybe) some gobies, and some clowns (diffent kinds)

AS of now do u see anything wrong with this tank or is it fine? any ideas are welcome and appcieated...

PEACE

SNEAK

ALSO: GOT MY WATER TESTED TODAY AND IT PERFECT!!!

(keep in mind the tank was given to me so please dont bite to hard :p )

Mr_Quality
01/24/2003, 06:50 AM
You could try visiting the nano reef forum by clicking here (http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=75). They talk exclusively about small tank set ups.

You need to decide where you want to go with this tank. If you want corals, you are a little thin on lighting. You may want to upgrade to compact fluorescents, 2 x 55W or so. For a fish only w/ live rock tank (FOWLR) you are probably OK for lighting, but in 20g your fish choices are limited. Also, if you plan on keeping the damsel - fine. If not, get it out of there before you have loaded the tank with hiding places and made it impossible to catch it. Many people eventually get rid of them because they are so aggressive and limit the choices for tank mates.

HTH,
Mike

Mr_Quality
01/24/2003, 06:53 AM
One more thing ... you should get a protein skimmer!

crumbdav
01/24/2003, 08:27 AM
You first need to differentiate what type of tank you want to have. If you want to just have fish and no corals (FOWLR) then an undergravel filter will be fine. If you want to have corals you had better make sure you have a kick *** protein skimmer.

Undergravel filters trap detrius in the substrate. These eventually break down into Nitrates. Thus, tanks with an UG filter will have high nitrates.

btw: What are your nitrate test results?

I agree with the above about upgrading to PC lighting. HelloLights (a RC sponsor) is a great place to pick up a retro-kit.

Best of luck,